Shop Lighting

I have the same problem in my present (garage) shop. But it is not much a problem because there are only a few days I can comfortably have the doors open. so it is not a big deal.

The new shop has a rollup door.

I have a similar situation in my shop. I’m toying with hanging LED strips below the door rails. There will still be a darker area under the door itself when it’s raised, but I can live with that.
that is NOT a bad idea! Thank you!

Here is what I settled on: Commercial Electric 2ft Industrial High Bay Light, suggested mounting height 16-24Ft, 500K, 171 input watts, 120-277vac, Daylight, 18,000 Lumens.

I bought them at Home Depot; $99.00 less my 10% Military Discount.

I mounted four of them which provides more than adequate light for normal garage operations, however for machine shop ops I'm going to install five more. Probably be brighter than a sunny day in Oregon. When they are all in I'll post a picture. Ceiling height is 13', sqft is 1200.

Thanks for all the great info.---Matt

If using 4' type units: I'd avoid a solid, end-to-end run. I did this at first but found that spacing them out and turning 90* had better coverage.

I have a 2.5 car garage with 10-foot ceiling. I used 10x of these: Link. They are 25w, 2300lumen. Bright enough for me! The CRI is not the greatest though.

If you can: run them from 2 different switches. I wired mine up where I can turn on 4 of the 10 bars for general lighting. The other 6 are on a second switch when needed. I tell myself it saves a few pennies when I'm not doing any serious work in the garage.

It's really dangerous to commit to an LED solution, because 3 months from now, they may have something so much better you'll wish you had waited. It's amazing how quickly things are changing.

Let there be light!
36b32930dc3e51f039be2f9baf2d3057.jpg
ad675d35f107574929779a226f38b1c3.jpg

Back
Top Bottom