Shop Lighting

I have the same problem in my present (garage) shop. But it is not much a problem because there are only a few days I can comfortably have the doors open. so it is not a big deal.

The new shop has a rollup door.

I have a similar situation in my shop. I’m toying with hanging LED strips below the door rails. There will still be a darker area under the door itself when it’s raised, but I can live with that.
that is NOT a bad idea! Thank you!

Here is what I settled on: Commercial Electric 2ft Industrial High Bay Light, suggested mounting height 16-24Ft, 500K, 171 input watts, 120-277vac, Daylight, 18,000 Lumens.

I bought them at Home Depot; $99.00 less my 10% Military Discount.

I mounted four of them which provides more than adequate light for normal garage operations, however for machine shop ops I'm going to install five more. Probably be brighter than a sunny day in Oregon. When they are all in I'll post a picture. Ceiling height is 13', sqft is 1200.

Thanks for all the great info.---Matt

If using 4' type units: I'd avoid a solid, end-to-end run. I did this at first but found that spacing them out and turning 90* had better coverage.

I have a 2.5 car garage with 10-foot ceiling. I used 10x of these: Link. They are 25w, 2300lumen. Bright enough for me! The CRI is not the greatest though.

If you can: run them from 2 different switches. I wired mine up where I can turn on 4 of the 10 bars for general lighting. The other 6 are on a second switch when needed. I tell myself it saves a few pennies when I'm not doing any serious work in the garage.

It's really dangerous to commit to an LED solution, because 3 months from now, they may have something so much better you'll wish you had waited. It's amazing how quickly things are changing.

Let there be light!
36b32930dc3e51f039be2f9baf2d3057.jpg
ad675d35f107574929779a226f38b1c3.jpg

Back