Setup and Continuing Saga of the Charter Oak 12Z

Looking good Bill. You should be operational soon at your current pace.

Given any thought to changing out the way locks yet? If you need broken ones to work from, I have 2 now. You might be surprised how far those things can fly when they snap off, this last one I think I got almost 8 feet!

You had discussed some protection for the y way, were you thinking a flexible cover or the squeegee type?

What are you using for replacement locks for the X axis? I have mine positioned at the 2 o'clock position loose then twist clockwise to clamp the table. When unlocked it keeps them up and out of the way of the bed. Hopefully.

You know what? I screwed up. Here I had the saddle sitting on my bench for a week and completely forgot about a wiper for the back of the saddle/Y-axis interface. Sure would have been easier than now with the thing back together. :(

I was thinking of a wiper: basically a plastic or metal contrivance to hold pieces of felt against the ways to brush off the chips yet let oil through. Opinion? Got a better way? :)

What are you using for replacement locks for the X axis? I have mine positioned at the 2 o'clock position loose then twist clockwise to clamp the table. When unlocked it keeps them up and out of the way of the bed. Hopefully.
I did the same thing until the 2 times when I didn't :( I was thinking of making something like the things on the y that can flop instead of snap, or a big thumb screw that would clear the y dovetail.

You know what? I screwed up. Here I had the saddle sitting on my bench for a week and completely forgot about a wiper for the back of the saddle/Y-axis interface. Sure would have been easier than now with the thing back together. :(

I was thinking of a wiper: basically a plastic or metal contrivance to hold pieces of felt against the ways to brush off the chips yet let oil through. Opinion? Got a better way? :)

No, that's kind of what I was thinking too. Probably lasercut some plates and the wiper material. Silicone rubber cuts ok felt would probably cut good too. I'll have to try a few things soon.

Dude, if you have laser cut capability, I will gladly pay you for the time and material to make some extra ones. :))

Awesome Bill. That is pretty much how I planned to mill oil grooves in my saddle (on the G0704) so now you have proved it will work for me, thanks. I did actually order the material to make my ball nut mounts now so when they are done I will dissemble my mill and add oil grooves at the same time. I ordered (2) 3/16 ball nose carbide cutters to cut the grooves, what did you end up using and how deep?

Did you see Will's ring light mod to his PM45 http://www.hobby-machinist.com/showthread.php/27279-Spindle-Light-For-PM45M?p=240529#post240529 ? We should be able to do pretty much the same thing.

Bill i I am just finishing up the light mod mentioned above. I am also adding two more strips of LED lightsto tomeach side if the head. I have 3 more brackets to make, wiring was done yesterday. I will post pictures when complete.

Nice co work on the auto oiler. I am just about ready to start making some chips with accuracy!

X axis scale mounted and leveled. Reader mount and it's done. But the game is on. Time to go relax in front of the fireplace and big screen. :)

DSCN4262.JPG

I think it's starting to snow again.

DSCN4262.JPG

Took today and the rest of the week off from work. So...

Today I managed to get the Z-axis scale up on the column. Thanks to coolidge for the suggestion to make a back plate for the scale. Worked perfectly.

Had to put Blue to work again hogging out some aluminum pieces for the read head mount.

DSCN4264.JPG

Here it is mounted and ready to go.

DSCN4265.JPG

I'm getting there, slowly but surely. Don't want to get into a rush and screw something up now. :)

DSCN4264.JPG DSCN4265.JPG

Nope, glass. I won't be using flood coolant so not worried about contamination. Cheaper too. :)

Was just looking at the DROPro site and checking out their 2-axis lathe setups. I will be going with a 5 micron scale on Z and a one micron scale on X. That way I can set it up for diameter readout on X and still get decent resolution.

I'm using my lathe DRO tonight turning steel fixtures for the welding table, you will love the DRO on the lathe.

I've not used a DRO on a lathe yet. I do know that having one on the mill makes things easier/faster, so looking for the same benefits on the turning thingie. :)

Gotta put up a huge curtain rod for the Boss this morning, then I'll get back to the mill.

Coolidge: Do you know if you have to remove the head for the belt drive conversion? I'm trying to decide when exactly to do the head oiling system mod and if I can kill two birds with one stone. I'm not taking this monster off twice.

Back