Setup and Continuing Saga of the Charter Oak 12Z

Bill I am looking forward to seeing what you do with the oiling. It seems that using the stock gits locations would be a pain for one shot system. The hoses on the x would have to be able to move a really long distance and not get snagged if I am thinking about it right. I had originally planned to do one shot, but have thought the opposite lately. I was planning on poking holes in the saddle and milling the oil grooves in the saddle too.

I based my plans on what Bob Warfield did on his old skool 12z http://www.cnccookbook.com/CCMilllOneShot.htm.

I will be getting an oiling system from CO soon I hope, but am waiting for them to finish their installation DVD as Paul has asked that I do a critique of the video. I will of course be documenting the install process here as well. In my conversations with Paul I get the impression that the original oilers will not be replaced with their system. Instead, it will install in the saddle and the head interface piece, similar to that video you posted a link to. When I told Paul that I was mounting the X-axis scale on the front of the table he had to think about if that would interfere with the oiling system for the X-axis where it mounts to the front of the saddle, but we figured out that they can co-exist. The scale however, will 'just' fit above the front oiler on the table I think. It will be close. The same would happen if I mounted the scale on the back of the table as well.

I hopefully will be getting the system soon as Paul was telling me one of his people was having difficulty getting the whole thing on a DVD (big video...) but I don't know where in that process they are at the moment. But while I have everything apart, I will be measuring for some way wipers for the saddle (can't decide if I want to machine them out of brass or aluminum). That rear way cover that comes on the machine is pretty much useless IMO as when I took this apart I had chips all over the Y-axis ways. I'm really starting to like the idea of keeping the PM25 as a second machine, otherwise how would I make parts for El Hefe? :))

But for the stock oiling system, I am just thinking I could put some small galleys around the ball oilers as a backup system for me. In their current configuration, very little oil gets to the ways as there is nowhere for the oil to go other than to just sit in that little hole. I made a suggestion to Paul that for non-hobby/commercial customers he might suggest doing what I am going to do if they do not intend to go with the one-shot system.

Last edited:
If you got room and dont need the money, I would keep the 25. If it's nothing else it's a drill press that would cost a fortune to buy. Maybe a baby surface grinder conversion, all kinda stuff. I have a hard time letting go of anything with dove tails, gibs, and mic handles. Thats the hardest part to make good on most machine tools

If you got room and dont need the money, I would keep the 25. If it's nothing else it's a drill press that would cost a fortune to buy. Maybe a baby surface grinder conversion, all kinda stuff. I have a hard time letting go of anything with dove tails, gibs, and mic handles. Thats the hardest part to make good on most machine tools

Hmmm...now I didn't think of making a grinder attachment for the head. Let's see...right angle grinder + attachment jig, or I could go all in and make a powered horizontal spindle for a regular grinding wheel. Thanks dude, I SO need another project. ;)

I think of the PM25 as way more than a drill press. It is a very accurate machine, or maybe I'm just more accurate with it and it's 3-axis DRO. :whistle:

It's limitations are more size related, hence the arrival of it's big(er) brother. And you and I are of a similar mindset when it comes to getting rid of anything that has dove tails: I still have the original column for the 25 that Matt replaced and will absolutely find a use for it. :))

Just mount the PM25 on the 12z sideways for horizontal milling. :whistle:

I always use drill press as an example when folks talk about wore out mills being worthless. Seems to me even a sloppy mill that works has hundreds in value just in a drill press with xy travel.

Either way you would likely get less money for that 25 then it would cost you to build all that good stuff you got.

My PM25 isn't going anywhere. It's a good accurate little mill. :))

Ok, the new Y-axis nut is on the way, as is the 2-disk installation video for the one-shot oiling system. They won't be here until Monday though. Oiling System kit should have left today or tomorrow.

And I've got a little extra bonus coming in my check next week, so I will be ordering the X-axis power feed and the belt-drive conversion. Paul says it could be a little wait on the belt drive though, but I have more than enough to do on this mill to keep me busy for a while. Once the belt-drive conversion is installed I'm all set on this machine. For now. :)

Exciting times for sure at your house. If I sold machine tools and hop up parts for them, I think I would have to keep a cnc mill and lathe at the shop with all the hop ups on file. Just load the stock and hit play. Let it run while I inspected the next machine.

Hi
Nice mill, but will be a great mill.
I emailed co to see if they would export to the UK, but no reply ???
Will get one next year, it is on my list lol

Hey Jeff,

It took Paul a few days to reply to my last email, as they have a lot going on right now but he has so far responded to my emails. Write to Paul at Charter Oak and tell him Bill sent you. I would suggest a call would be better but don't know if you can do that given the time difference. :)

Back