ScubaSteve's Van Norman #12 Restoration

Damn. Still doesn't work. :whiteflag:

I guess Ill keep the bearings, shaft, and copper fins for other projects. The rest is going to the scrap man.

A new (to me) 3 HP Leeson motor should arrive late next week.

At least my 5 year old son learned how to say "armature"...lol.

If you tried to rewire it from 440 to 220 and got leads 6 and 9 mixed up, it would do what you described earlier, i.e., just sit and hum.

Cal

I agree, but these are clearly labelled like 6 and 9 ....believe me, I am the type to troubleshoot this into the ground, but judging from the crumbly condition of the insulation on these leads, I really am better served by getting a new motor. I am thinking about how to keep the nice cast iron housing for something useful...might make a nice tap tower for beer, etc.

I agree, but these are clearly labelled like 6 and 9 ....believe me, I am the type to troubleshoot this into the ground, but judging from the crumbly condition of the insulation on these leads, I really am better served by getting a new motor. I am thinking about how to keep the nice cast iron housing for something useful...might make a nice tap tower for beer, etc.

At least you should get a good price for all that copper.

You would think...however it was encased in epoxy and it wasn't worth the $20-$30 to spend my afternoon hacking away at it and making sure it was clean enough to be accepted for scrap. I did keep the housings, and I'm really wishing I kept the shaft, since I just got a hydraulic press and could have pressed it out...keeping it for lathe projects, etc. Looking back, I think there were enough possible points of failure in the motor that it was better to replace it.

On another note, I have just mounted the 3 HP Leeson and she turns like "butta". Currently fiddling around with getting the properly sized belts (finally went with link-belt since I can re-use it on other machines). Gotta get that last 12" and I'll have the double pulley strung with 2 separate belts....then we're back in business....lots of other projects waiting for the mill!

Hey guys...simple question that I *kind of* know the answer to:

The VN12 had a 1.5HP 1140 RPM motor as stock. I now have a 3 HP 1750 RPM motor mounted. It is noticeably faster, and I worry about the geartrain. Should I be worried? Normally I would get a VFD to slow it down, but because it is 3HP the VFD would be super expensive.

Back