SB ( new to me gonna need your help!

Well the wick kit should be here tomorrow but I have a few more questions. As I said before Im missing the banjo and gears, but a member here has stepped up to help me out. I think Im still missing something, what makes the lead screw turn?

unnamed (1).jpgunnamed (2).jpgunnamed (3).jpg unnamed.jpg

unnamed.jpg unnamed (1).jpg unnamed (2).jpg unnamed (3).jpg

Vince,
The gear train from the spindle to the gearbox is needed for the leadscrew to turn after you select the right holes to engauge in the gearbox.
When you install the wicks in the headstock make sure you use a piece of wire in the small holes in the casting to hold down the wicks as you install the spindle. Only do one item at a time or else you will have many items not knowing where they go and take lots of pictures before tearing apart.
Paul

lathe in pieces.jpg

After you slide the leadscrew into the gear box there is a gear, a key, and 2 nuts that go on the threaded end of the shaft.

Mine is the single tumbler,but I think they may be similar.Just a guess,if not disregard----

DSC02112.JPG

At lunch today took the gear box apart, took about 15 min everything came right out, except the punch on one hole, LOL

On one of my wheels I have nylon, going to clean up the gears real well and put it back togeather tomorrow. I got a new lead screw gear off epay today too.

Got the gears cleaned up tonight and polished my shafts :shush::lmao: What I thought was light rust was really some fresh anti size on the gears. The brass or bronze bearings look new. Filed the chipped teeth, so I hop all goes easy back togeather.

Red Irish made me the gears and had a banjo for me, and got the lead screw gear, and the chip guard off epay. I hope by this time next week it will all be togeather.

unnamed (4).jpg

unnamed (4).jpg

Started reasembly of the gear box today and the first shaft I put in seems real tight. The shaft turned easy before I took it apart. Could this be the new felt running on the shaft?

Vince,
If you are tight on the long shaft it might be that the one gear on the end is a little too thick and belongs on the other shaft. Two gears are almost the same except for thickness. Another reason could be the shaft and gears are not clean enough. They have to be real clean to move right. I do not think the felts would cause it as long as the shaft slid in ok. I had to clean my shafts and gears real good for them to work right and they did work when the shaft was out of the box. Just something to try since I did not know what you did or how clean were the gears and shafts. Mine are shinny and real clean before they worked right.
Paul

DCP_0456.JPG

Little up date. Im not making head way on the gear box just too busy. As soon as I get a min at work, I have to leave it. So I moved it to the house where I can get something done. Hopefully tomorrow. :dunno:

I did get a nice care package from Red Irish today! :ups:

GEARS BANJO.jpg

GEARS BANJO.jpg

So tonight I started putting the QCGB back togeather, its binding worse that when I started! :angry:

Im tearing it apart again tomorrow and start over. The shaft that has the tree of stacked gears on it seems to be the problem.

Back