SB ( new to me gonna need your help!

Vince_O

Active User
Registered
OK guys a few of you know Ive been on the hunt for a larger lathe to replace my Atlas 6 and have had some bought out from under me and some I was just too late. Well I got this one today. It has QCGB, removed from unit, Taper atachment, Phase 2 tool holder, outside jaws, 110 motor removed to haul in the rain, tail stock with live center and drill chuck. I dont know anything else about it but when he started it up it was quiet as can be its real tight and smooth. I tried to look for damages and wear as in so many posts Ive read hear. Heres some pics of the unit. A few guards are missing and broke, the tensioner is broke and home made one in its place.

Questions

can someone tell me when it was made?
dose it have auto cross feed?
where can I download a manual for it so I can print it off?

Any other help will be greatly apreacited! I know as I start tearing into it to clean it Ill be having more questions that I will post.
SB 1.jpgSB 2.jpgSB 3.jpgSB 4.jpgSB 5.jpgSB 6.jpgSB 7.jpgSB 8.jpg

SB 1.jpg SB 2.jpg SB 3.jpg SB 4.jpg SB 5.jpg SB 6.jpg SB 7.jpg SB 8.jpg

Good for you. Glad you were finally in the position to pull the trigger. Several others here have rebuilt their SBs so you're certainly in the right place.

where can I download a manual for it so I can print it off?

I've seen this question several times and the general response has been to get the SB book from the same guy that sells the wicks and stuff that you will be needing. I'm sure Greg and others will see your post and reply more knowledgeably than I'm able.

Have fun and like you know, we love pictures!

Was the gearbox removed by you or did it not come with it? The guards and tensioner are easy enough to find. Also is that a broken tooth on the bull gear? All in all looks like you got a decent machine. If you really wanted to you could probably sell the taper attachment for more than you paid for the lathe. Yes it does have powered crossfeed. That lever with the pull knob on the apron selects cross or longitudinal feed. A good place to start is cleaning the grime and replacing felts. There is a rebuild kit on e-bay that comes with a book. You'll want that one. Oh and you want the kit for a "Model A" You also already have a threading dial and by what I can see large dials which is always a plus. Also it looks from the pictures like a long bed. If your countershaft has 2 steps on the large shaft pulley then you have a 12 speed lathe if it has only 1 step it's a 6 speed.

Halligan

Yes it is 12 speed, he showed me all the gears, and man when its running slow, its SLOW! Theres a tooth missing in the bull gear, is this a big problem?

He removed the gear box about 10 years ago, he cant remember why. And to be honest I belive him hes kindaof a spacy guy. There was 5 lathes in the shop 2 bridge ports all old all used but clean and well taken care of. I couldnt get the one side of the gear box to move so Im guessing something is broken in theres or wedged, but what do I know.

I knew as soon as I saw the taper atachment I got a good deal. I know I could sell thatat and make my money back dang need twice for what I paid for it.

Soon as you sale it you will need to turn 5 diffrent tappers. ahahahaha

Nice machine. I'm sure you got years of fun to be had there

Ok cleaning things up here at work, missing the banjo and gears for the QCGB :angry:, but Im sure Ill find what I need on Epay

Halligan

Yes it is 12 speed, he showed me all the gears, and man when its running slow, its SLOW! Theres a tooth missing in the bull gear, is this a big problem?

He removed the gear box about 10 years ago, he cant remember why. And to be honest I belive him hes kindaof a spacy guy. There was 5 lathes in the shop 2 bridge ports all old all used but clean and well taken care of. I couldnt get the one side of the gear box to move so Im guessing something is broken in theres or wedged, but what do I know.

I knew as soon as I saw the taper atachment I got a good deal. I know I could sell thatat and make my money back dang need twice for what I paid for it.

Hi Vince dont worry about the chiped gear thats easy with a tooth implant. My hang up is why in hell he removed the gear box, thats what makes 9A's
shine. Just like a neighbor friend, a sweet perfect 1956 Crown Victoria with power windows, seats, windows and factory air. First thing he did is remove
the A/C YOU JUST gotta be kidding???? Violating the ten comandments space shot? we call em brain dead scientist's " brain dead's" ......
samuel

Samuel

We found this today at work. I made a vid for you tube when it uploads Ill post the like to it. Look at this gear if you can see it. Im thinking someone changed gears while it was still moving and stacked them, damaging one. Theres a real hard spot in the rotation. Maybe trashed the bango gears too?

QCGB 1.JPG

- - - Updated - - -

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TxT50zMlgJc

- - - Updated - - -

Heres the link http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TxT50zMlgJc

QCGB 1.JPG

Looks like you can file that one tooth back into shape and knock off the high spots and you'll be good to go. Don't think that would have broken the banjo. More than likely it was misplaced over the years. I still recommend a good clean and re wicking or at least check the easily accessible wicks for condition. They're probably the consistency of stone.

Back