SB ( new to me gonna need your help!

Halligan Im taking your advise :thumbsup:

Ok so the boys and I took the cross slide off tonight. Im taking it to work and cleaning it good! Im pointing to what looks like a resovor do I need to open it up and wash out? Im guessing theres a wick in there as theres a cup to oil.

SB Cross slide.jpg SB Cross slide 2.jpg

SB Cross slide.jpg SB Cross slide 2.jpg

Also looking at the head stock looks like its held on like a tail stock is mounted. Looks like theres a nut under the blade of my screw driver to loosen the head stock. Then slide it off the ways. Also my oldest son, 11 says Dad why dont we paint this. I trned and said " dont know want too?" Ok is his response. Im still out to lunch on painting it, I hate to paint.

SB Head Stock .jpg SB Head Stock 2.jpg

SB Head Stock .jpg SB Head Stock 2.jpg

I think the reservoir covers the clutch. I'd open it up carefully and clean and inspect it.

Yes the clutch is under that cover. It's a friction clutch. It has two shoes that spread out and lock the gear in place when you tighten the star wheel. Be careful when taking the flat head screw out of the star wheel. It's left hand thread. The headstock is held on with 2 bolts and 2 clamps similar to the tail stock. Loosen the bolts and slide it off. If you're going to pull the spindle you'll want to do it before you take the headstock off the lathe. You'll need the weight of the bed for leverage. When you reinstall it just be sure that the bottom of the headstock and the bed where it mounts are completely clean. You don't want so much as a grain of sand throwing off that fit.

Watching the second part of your vid, the "tree" is pressed on? They dont turn independant of each other?

We watched it at lunch and we all agreed that when the vid sped up we thought you had a shop mouse running a small jack hammer putting the shaft back in! :jester:

But we all agreed that your real good at explaining things.

There is a pin that links all the gears together. That pin also slides into the wide gear that's the smallest at the end. That gear has a taper pin to join it to the shaft. The shaft itself rotates. Not the gears on the shaft.

Vince,
Look at my album pjf134 and you will see some breakdowns and some before and after pics that might help you out. The model A has letters after the serial no. to give info like spindle size and gear box type ect. and your serial no. don't.The JAN means something else. I would say that someone converted it to a gear box type.
Paul

DCP_0418.JPG

Paul thank you

Ok heres my apron Im guessing everything looks ok?

unnamed (2).jpgunnamed (1).jpgunnamed (3).jpgunnamed.jpg

unnamed (1).jpg unnamed (3).jpg unnamed.jpg unnamed (2).jpg

Vince,
The apron looks good and the half nuts, for threading, looks good too. Make sure you get all the dirt out and the felts are good too. See how clean mine is. Make sure the cover at the bottom is leak free or else you will have oil all over your bench.
Paul

Last edited by a moderator:
Paul

Did you take the brake / clutch out of yours for the feed? If so how dose it come out? Also I looked last night on SB's site for the lettering like you said, but came up with nothing. I do some more cleaning on it and I am getting new felts for the machine. As easy as this has been Im thinking on pulling the spindle out and doing it too.

On another note hows thinks in Bridgeville? My buddy up on May ave sent me some pics a few weeks ago and told me he was sick of snow! Sounds like its been a rough year for you guys. Im thinking of coming home this summer if I do Ill look you up as I stay at his place.

Back