SB ( new to me gonna need your help!

Are you sure it's the shaft with the gear tree? The gears next to the tree links with a set of gears on the small shaft with the collar. It may be the gear mesh here that's screwing you up. If you haven't already I would go shaft my shaft during disassembly and figure out if you are binding from the gears meshing together, the shafts in their respective bronze bushings, or the gears and bearings in the handle themselves. If you have everything out except that shaft with the tree of gears on it and you spin it and it still sticks you have a length or bushing issue. There are two gears that look almost identical. A large gear with a connected smaller diameter gear. If you look there are a couple of these, but look closely and you'll notice on some of them the smaller diameter gear is thinner. Another one has a thicker large diameter gear and a thinner small diameter gear I suspect you have these in the wrong place.

It should look like this:

gearbox.jpg

gearbox.jpg

Halligan

Im glad you chimed in as Im useing your vid to go off of. I think you may be on to something. Ill double check your pic against mine as once again I got side tracked tonight. Seeing that I took it apart they way it was, and it was binding to begin with, I may be just dupclating the problem!

Also what size roll pins did you use, I wanna do the same thing. Im not liking these pins.

Thanks Vince

I believe the roll pins were either 1/8 " or 3/32". I sized them as close to the larger hole of the taper pin hole in the gear. Also I couldn't get the exact length. The ones locally were nominal sizes and either too short or too long. I just got the longer one and ground it to length

Halligan

I have my gear box sitting on the dinner table comparining mine and yours. As I doge name calling as my wife just loves it when I do this, the gear boxes look the same. Im really leaning to the brass inserts are a tad too long. With fresh anti size and real nice looking felts and bronze bushings Im thinking someone was rebuilding this and never put it back on. The guy I got it from has a groupe of guys that hang out and build "projects". There is a bunch of engeers that hag out there making plastic injection mold stuff and there was 5 lathes and 2 bridge ports in the room / hang out. Im going to contune on with this the way it is. The binding may not be much, as I can easly turn it by fingers, so it may just be wear but Ive never been around this stuff so I cant say.

I got some roll pins out of the tool room and Im cutting them off with my air grinder. Thanks for your help!

Well I put the gear box on and welll it kinda works. The left side gears work well and goe in all the slots A, B, C ect.

The gears to the right..............well............ not so well. I can get the lever into 2 of them, like the lever wont lift high enough. once its in the 2 gears well the gear box is so tight it will stall the lathe, in the back gears!

Nothing chrashed or got hurt. Im pulling it back off to see what shaft is bent, Im guessing the one with the tree of gears on it.

More news at 11, just dont know what day that will be LOL

I WANNA SAY THANK YOU TO EVERYONE FOR THE HELP!

I found the shaft that holds the tree was bent. Im guessing from beating the pins out. The ends of the shaft was mushroomed so I shaved it and I can at least cut threads now! I did something a little differant, I drilled out the center hole a bit bigger and used my air hammer to put the pin back in. This was a whole lot easier than beating it out and in. Also I took one of my bits for the air hammer and cut it down so it would punch the center pin out. I feel this is a lot more forgiving on the shaft. I used roll pin on the center shaft and the taper ones on the rest.

Also after taking everything back apart and looking at the repair book and
Halligan's photo I found that one of the gears on the arms was in backwards. The book calls for them to be in a center line. After flipping the gears I can now get them into every position on the QCGB. Now when my How to run a late book comes Ill be doing some serious reading.

This will be such a big help to me in my hobby of garden tractors, that I dont know how I lived with out it. Once again thanks to everyone for the help, this is a great group of guys and a wonderful site. I look forward to many years of use and picture posting!

threads.jpg

threads.jpg

Yeehaw! You really ARE cutting threads with that new-fangled quick-change box! My primary lathe is so old, I don't believe it was an option...
Like that song from one of the Beatles: "With a little help..."
You have a keeper Vince!

Back