Sb Fourteen Project???

Guys I had to stop for acouple minutes and share with ya'll what I just learned about assembly of the apron.I am so glad that I decided to take the worm gear back apart and check one more time.You know during taking apart an apron or whatever it is I always lay it out one piece at a time in order so that after cleaning I can put it back together the same way.So my mistake that I made I had the worm gear laying out with all the parts in order so putting it back together with the new felt,all going good so far.But after assemble the worm gear was hard to turn,not by hand but with wrench.At first I was thinking that its the new felt which I did soak them down with oil.Guys it just did not feel right so I took the pin out of the collar and remove the collar to take a look at the felt on that side.Nothing stood out what might be wrong and yes taking it back apart I layed it out in order.But the collar has a very small ridge on it that goes against the bushing which I had the collar turned the wrong way.So just flipping the collar around,will I be dang little simple mistake created such a problem.So I corrected my mistake and now it turns so easy as it should.Just one of many lifes lesson-----krollDSC03310.JPG

Last edited:
Hi Carrol

Happy New Year... :)

You are doing a top notch job on your lathe, and your documentary and photos will help many in the future. Keep up the good work :)

Brian

Afternoon guys,its been awhile since I posted any progress pics of the lathe.I had hit a snag so I work on it for sometime and started on a 4"dia round knob to adjust the reeves pulley.For the most part,all is done putting it back together except a test run.Which right now I am working on doing the electrical on the lathe and having to kinda redesign it cause someone had done some electrical rigging in the past.There was no starter mounted on the lathe,it was ran without a starter.The previous owner just use the drum switch to start/stop the machine with what you might say "No protection".I want to make it as safe as possible by mounting a starter,rpm meter,and the drum switch for those special projects that you may need to run it in reverse.Anyway the pics are just for entertainment,in no order.Maybe the next pics come when I am able to run it off a converter.Thanks for looking----kroll

DSC03343.JPG

DSC03344.JPG

DSC03345.JPG

DSC03346.JPG

DSC03347.JPG

DSC03348.JPG

DSC03349.JPG

DSC03350.JPG

DSC03351.JPG

Looking really good. You've put in a lot of work, will be nice to see it up and running. Mike

ITS ALIVE--Yahoooooo! Afternoon guys,yesterday and today I work on doing the electric on the lathe.As I went along I keep asking myself "Will it work" "Am I wiring it right" you know all those question you ask yourself when doubt is setting in.So I made some temporary connections then plug it in.I be dang it works,tried it in high then low(video) and the amps only change maybe .5amp.The noise that you hear I think is coming from the motor since its been setting up for some time so I think it just needs to be ran awhile.You talk about a load off the shoulders,it was a load.Its not a turn key job,but its getting closer.Thanks for looking -----kroll

Guys I I am almost finish with the lathe just doing alittle touch up on the lathe such as disassemble the china made chuck for a good cleaning since its been setting for yrs.Looking at it I would have guess maybe an hr to clean then put back together but I was wrong.Started on it around 7 which its now 11:30 and I just mounted it to the lathe.Guys you can see that someone done a little repair to the back plate by welding little extra material so that it could be machine to fit the chuck.How in the heck did swafs get between the back plate and the chuck.Guys I said make in china chuck but I have to say its a pretty dang good chuck which in one of the pics you can see that inside the bore the jaws kinda extend into the bore which is pretty neat.I have one question,I know nothing about these chucks which on the spindle there is 3 screws that I guess maybe locks the chuck in place besides the 3 stubs that stick out.What is the purpose of these 3 screws?Pics are just in random order,one day I will learn how to post pics in order.Getting close guys to finishing this thread-----kroll

DSC03375.JPG

DSC03374.JPG

DSC03373.JPG

DSC03372.JPG

DSC03371.JPG

DSC03369.JPG

DSC03368.JPG

DSC03367.JPG

I believe I got the screw figure out in pic#373,it servers as a jam screw to lock the other in place.So I am safe to start up the lathe again w/chuck installed and get to watch the tach

Guys I am closing the book on this project,I am finally calling it complete.All I have to do is make a 4" knob for adjusting the rpm which is where you see a shaft sticking out.I have to say that over the last few yrs I have done several lathes and this SB 14 is the best.Adding the tach I can adjust the rpm's to what ever.The lathe itself does run smooth but the door I made for the cabinet is made out of 1/8 steel I had put rubber washers to help with the noise cause it vibrates some.Dang you talking about a very slow feed,this can get loooooow.My Atlas is just to fast of a feed,wish it was as slow as this SB.Anyway guys thanks for following checking out the pics.I am going to try and post a Youtube on this lathe running and if it working I will edit and post a link.Thanks guys-----krollDSC03378.JPG DSC03379.JPG

DSC03380.JPG

DSC03382.JPG

thanks , it do look nice. hope you have fun with it. I know we enjoyed it.

@Kroll,

It looks great, you should be proud.
Thanks for bringing us along for the ride.
It was much appreciated!

-brino

Back