SB Catalog No. 84-BB

I need to go through and re-shim the spindle clamps also. Problem is that I need to make some shims first. The guy who had the lathe before me apparently just left the caps loose for lack of shims to properly tighten it down. :rolleyes: I was considering making a die to cut them in my hydraulic press. Just don't have the time to quite get to it yet. :banghead:

-Ron

I got shims for the job but as it turned out I didn't need them. I saw a youtube which helped me do my adjustment but if your bearing have no shims and you still have too much bearing clearance you have to come up with another plan. [video=youtube;K3c0iwFgORo]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K3c0iwFgORo[/video]

Bob

My bearings have no shims but you can't tighten down the caps without making the spindle immobile. It's not that the bearings or spindle are worn out, it's just missing the shims that should be there. I don't think it'll be too bad to get things straightened out once I get the shims made.

Thanks for the video.

-Ron

My heavy 10 is a different set up for the oiling but the shims are the same. Shims are shims and do the same on either lathe, in my rebuild book it said the clearance should be between .001" and ,0015" I think. I set mine to .001" with a lift test and she spins freely by hand with the chuck on about 1 1/2 rotations. Any way scrapmetal, If you don't want to go through all the trouble of making a die to stamp shims, which isn't all that bad an idea if you have access to the tooling to do that, I made paper templates of the shims, glued them to some brass shim stock and stack cut them on a wood working scroll saw, worked like a charm, cheap, quick, and easy peasy. I think I showed how I did this in my heavy ten rebuild thread.

My heavy 10 is a different set up for the oiling but the shims are the same. Shims are shims and do the same on either lathe, in my rebuild book it said the clearance should be between .001" and ,0015" I think. I set mine to .001" with a lift test and she spins freely by hand with the chuck on about 1 1/2 rotations. Any way scrapmetal, If you don't want to go through all the trouble of making a die to stamp shims, which isn't all that bad an idea if you have access to the tooling to do that, I made paper templates of the shims, glued them to some brass shim stock and stack cut them on a wood working scroll saw, worked like a charm, cheap, quick, and easy peasy. I think I showed how I did this in my heavy ten rebuild thread.

I'll go back through your re-build thread but just in case, did you have any issues with the edges of the shims and if so how'd you clean them up?

Thanks much,

-Ron

I'll go back through your re-build thread but just in case, did you have any issues with the edges of the shims and if so how'd you clean them up?

Thanks much,

-Ron
As far as cleaning up the edges on the thicker ones I used a tiny little file to clean up any burs, on the thinner ones I layed them flat on a piece of glass and scraped a razor blade across the edges. The edges where not all that bad to begin with, I tightly taped a stack of shims together with clear packing tape and with the thicker ones to the outside and cut them with a fine tooth scroll saw blade. They came out nice and worked great. The brass is soft and works easy and conforms to the cast iron of the lathe as well. I did not want to use steel shim stock for that reason. I'm not saying that stamped ones wouldn't work better or as well, it was just a solution that worked very well for me with what I had, and like you point out as long as you smooth the edges they worked great. There was another person who was supposed to make and sell these shims, stamped style, he just had to make the tooling. I waited and waited, and waited some more, I finally got tired of waiting and came up with this idea and knocked em out in a couple of hours including the install and dial indicated lift test. Worked for me.:dunno:

Yeah, I'll most likely get tired of waiting for myself to get it done to. :biggrin: Thanks for the tips on cleaning up the edges. I may actually get it done in the near future. :thumbzup:

Thanks again,

-Ron

Back