SB Catalog No. 84-BB

Thanks Ron. What makes the 11" a PITA?

Basically, just finding the correct parts. I've been looking for a follower rest for over a year now and have completely given up on a taper attachment (I'll probably make them myself when I get the time.) When you go to look for chuck backplates, drive plates, or faceplates you'll find that nobody makes them for a 1 5/8" - 8 spindle nose. The other somewhat limiting factor is the odd 7/8" through-hole of the spindle. Are you interested in using collets? Do you have the collet setup for the 11"? I haven't seen anyone post yet that has it and there has been a lot of discussion, but no actual proof, of what kind of collets it even uses. The best inference I've seen so far is that they used 2S collets but, like I said, there's been no confirmation of that. The 2S is fairly rare, Hardinge still makes them but the price is enough to choke a guy - https://www.shophardinge.com/productGrid.aspx?catID=1551

With your longer bed (and my 4') the 7/8" though-hole should be less of an issue but it is still there.

That might sound like a lot of gripes but it really isn't as most of those issues can be worked around but can still be a p.i.t.a. at time. ;) :biggrin:

-Ron

No collet set up.

And I was SO hoping to get some measurements.... :shrugs: ;) One of these days one will surface with all the bells and whistles and the rest of us poor lost souls will get to have some measurements and questions answered. :thumbzup:

Your 11" looks like it is in pretty good shape. It'll be nice to see you bring it back in to service.

-Ron

Thanks Ron,

I'm very happy with it's condition and completeness. The only thing i have done so far is spray some wd-40 on it, my plan is just to degrease it and oil it up it has no rust on the gears at all and only light surface discoloration on the ways towards the head. I will leave the original patina as intact as possible.

Going through my steel today to get material for the base/table. I found the missing apron worm drive key on ebay.

Bob

Yep, the spindle taper is a #2MT. The problem is that there is an adapter/collet holder insert that goes in there. You don't put the collets straight in to the spindle. A regular #2MT collet will fall in there and be lost. :eek: Well, not lost but it would be so deep it would be of no use. Here is the basic gear set up for the collets:

colletsetup.JPG

That "Closing Sleeve" is the thing that sits in the #2MT taper.

I think that this chart is the source for thinking that the 11" uses the 2S collet:

colletdimensions.JPG

Even though the 11" isn't in the table it shows both the 10" and the 13" to be using a "2" collet. In the text it references a "2-A" so I don't know why it is suggested the a "2S" was used unless they are basically the same collet.

Always looking for more information on the subject,

-Ron

Yes but doesn't the spindle sleeve (part number 205 on pg 2 of the repair parts manual) reduce the the spindle to take the number two morse taper.
My spindle sleeve on left.
taper2.jpg

taper2.jpg

Yes, I think the spindle sleeve is the same as the spindle taper but I don't believe that the sleeve has anything to do with collets. (BTW, I'm jealous. Mine didn't come with the spindle sleeve.)

It is my understanding that the spindle sleeve is for use when you wish to have a head stock center along with a faceplate. [See Fig. 117 on page 25] The sleeve needs to be there to keep the center out where it can be useful else it would fall back in to the spindle.

Regards,

-Ron

Ron,

I think the closing sleeve replaces the the spindle sleeve when using collets, and that it is the spindle sleeve the reduces the spindle to accept a #2mt. The odds would seem to be heavily against us finding an original collet closer setup.

Bob

Ron,

I think the closing sleeve replaces the the spindle sleeve when using collets, and that it is the spindle sleeve the reduces the spindle to accept a #2mt. The odds would seem to be heavily against us finding an original collet closer setup.

Bob

My thoughts as well. We know that they were made at one time and 11" SBs do keep showing up. It's got to be just a matter of time, right? :rolleyes: :biggrin:

-Ron

Back