Saw Stop table saw

Great looking saw!

I've had a hankering for a Sawstop to replace my 1965 Unisaw but the price in Canada is just insane.
A 1.75hp Sawstop with 36" fence is $4300 before taxes.
Thanks!

It's a tough pill to swallow for sure, but here in the US if it saves me or someone else just one trip the ER I'll come out ahead cost-wise. Also they don't seem to depreciate as much as other brands, at least around here. Mine was $3600 after taxes before last spring's price increase. If they increase it a couple more times I could probably get close to $3600 on the used market if I had to sell it.

I'll stick with my 80's cast iron General.

I got a Powermatic PM2000

I have a delta table saw I love.

sooo - the safety feature is great, and if that is a must-have, then you can only get the Sawstop. I have a 5HP 12" general in all cast iron I like much better, and I've used both it and the pro saw stop extensively. The saw stop is a very usable saw. but not as rigid or as smooth running as the General. The gimbal (tilt mechanism) is twice as large (heavy) on the General, for some reason, which will contribute to its smooth running.

but... since the General is unavailable for 20 years, the Powermatic 2000 seems to be a suitable alternative, but I have NOT used one.

I have a 12" 5hp Powermatic 74, with a set of those ratcheting hold downs on the fence, so I'm not in the market for a saw.
I'm sure the Sawstops are nice saws, but like a lot of others, I got really turned off by the company's legal shenanigans, early on.

One thing that the expensive Sawstop tech doesn't address is the potential for kick back, does it?
The only time I've even come close to being hurt by a table saw, was because of that - To me, that's more of a danger with any saw.
Does the Sawstop have a riving knife? I think ANY new saw should have one - I believe it's been a safety standard in Europe for some time.

A friend bought a Sawstop, it's comparable to the Powermatic PM2000. We were trying to add a dado blade, and learned the brake cartridge had to be changed when switching to the dado blade. The cartridge was somewhere around $100 as I recall, but I don't know for sure. Just beware of that, and if you use dado blades, better have a cartridge on hand in advance.

Another comment from another user of Sawstop was the brake fired once when he accidentally touched the blade with his extended tape measure.

One thing that the expensive Sawstop tech doesn't address is the potential for kick back, does it?
The only time I've even come close to being hurt by a table saw, was because of that - To me, that's more of a danger with any saw.
Does the Sawstop have a riving knife? I think ANY new saw should have one - I believe it's been a safety standard in Europe for some time.

Yeah it does a riving knife, it’s a nice design too.

Another comment from another user of Sawstop was the brake fired once when he accidentally touched the blade with his extended tape measure.
I’ve seen a few people get caught out thinking that the brake is disabled when the saw is off. It’s still active the entire time the blade is spinning down so if you try to get in there with a tape to set up for the next cut too soon you could trigger it.

I have a 12" 5hp Powermatic 74, with a set of those ratcheting hold downs on the fence, so I'm not in the market for a saw.
I'm sure the Sawstops are nice saws, but like a lot of others, I got really turned off by the company's legal shenanigans, early on.

Yes the Sawstop has a riving knife.

Back