Saw Stop table saw

Nutfarmer

Registered
Registered
Are they any good as a table saw? Was thing about buying one for my son. Does anyone have one ? I like the safety factor, but only if it preforms well as a table saw. Thanks for your help.

I had a 5HP ICS and it was a pretty darn good table saw, at least as good as any of the import saws and most of the domestic ones. I thought as a table-saw it was a little less 'solid' than my early-70s PM66, but the safety factor I think made up for it. The factory support + all the accessories they offer are nice as well.

Stumpy nubs I think has some decent table saw and saw stop videos on YouTube

I have heard only good things about them.

The safety feature is great !! The rest of the saw, ? Im not impressed at all. A friend has the cabinet saw version, all sheet metal, with threaded rods to tilt and raise the blade, replaced the cartridge in a portable one, Its mostly plastic. Neat stand but sure not worth the money in my opinion. Until your finger hits the blade.

I'll stick with my 80's cast iron General.

Greg

My friend has a Saw Stop, bought about the same time as I got a Powermatic PM2000. He likes his, but I am way happier with mine…just seems built better, the built in casters, the table casting, etc. But it coukd be cognitive dissonance on both our parts. He was a lot more worried about cutting his hand off than I was, that drove his decision. They both cut wood beautifully.

My friend has a Saw Stop, bought about the same time as I got a Powermatic PM2000. He likes his, but I am way happier with mine…just seems built better, the built in casters, the table casting, etc. But it coukd be cognitive dissonance on both our parts. He was a lot more worried about cutting his hand off than I was, that drove his decision. They both cut wood beautifully.
My experience was about the same, though I was comparing it to a much-fewer-featured PM66. the PM was 'stouter' had a much thicker/harder casting on the top, and everything just was better built. I have never had a PM2000 though, they DO seem really nice when I looked at them in Rockler.

I sold mine and switched to the sawstop ICS and was happy, mostly because I was thinking about my kid someday helping in the shop! Turns out I got bored of wood and switched to metal fulltime, so that part was a waste :)

Are they any good as a table saw? Was thing about buying one for my son. Does anyone have one ? I like the safety factor, but only if it preforms well as a table saw. Thanks for your help.
Saw stop is a top of the line table saw. I covet one, a 3hp cabinet saw.
1st, it's cheaper than losing fingers.
Second, they did their homework. it's a good , accurate saw, beats the Unisarus hands down. Beats a PM66 in my mind.

I don't know anything about the contractor saw, but the cabinet saw is a quality unit. I am familiar with both the industrial and pro. The industrial is cream of the crop... Wanna buy me one? :)

edit: ok, I guess we have some differing opinions on the saw. I thought it was as good as it seemed. But my view was based on demoing it, and looking it over heavily... Using it at a friends, and not seeing the issues discussed. I would take those at face value.

Last edited:
I have a delta table saw I love. Good saw and easy to use. I don’t mind paying extra for keeping my fingers. We all have been complacent at times and payed the price. I cut my thumb blanking out a 174 ph blank on a band saw. Thanks everyone for their input. I appreciate it. It’s a lot extra for the safety.

Thanks everyone for their input. I appreciate it. It’s a lot extra for the safety.

That is the general consensus I've gotten from woodworking forums. Good saw but you are paying a lot for the added safety.

Back