Rusty Parallels

Keep a sheen of machine oil on your tooling and you should have no problems.
The key to this is either use your tooling or inspect it periodically.
Any tooling I don't use very often, I spray with silicone

Auto-sol is a great cleaner for tool steels. I use it to clean up old wood plans and knives. A good coat of BoeShield T-9 works to protect them.
Code:
http://www.leevalley.com/en/wood/page.aspx?p=50252&cat=1,43415,43440

Why do you have to glue it at all? Cut it to size and drop it in. When it starts to float up, the tools will hold it down.

True. Just going the extra step. It's really not necessary.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes, a coat of oil will prevent rust, but things like unfinished wood and felt will absorb the oil, leaving your tools unprotected.

Keep a sheen of machine oil on your tooling and you should have no problems.
The key to this is either use your tooling or inspect it periodically.
Any tooling I don't use very often, I spray with silicone

The culprit is the white glue. Spray adhesive (maybe not all kinds) works to hold the felt in place. It's nice when the felt is secured and you don't have to keep putting it back on place.

I've been thinking about felting some of my tool drawers. The rubbery drawer liner stuff isn't impressing me too much. I'll glue mine down too as I don't like the cloth moving around. McMaster has wool felt up to 1/2" thick https://www.mcmaster.com/#felt/=19ng6r1 but it sure aint cheap. Going to check out that silver cloth as well. https://www.amazon.com/Anti-tarnish...8&qid=1507036721&sr=8-6&keywords=silver+cloth

I can't help but thinking that "Rusty Parallels" might have been the Car Talk Bridgeport operator:)

Some points to consider:
1. Felt has been used for years on lathe way wipers. It holds oil well and is used for that purpose. My research into felt for way wipers indicates the felt used for that application is wool.
2. Felt bought in a fabric store is very likely not 100% wool, it's too expensive. It is most likely a fiber blend including a very high percentage of synthetic fibers.
3. As white glue dries it gives off the water. White glue can be somewhat acidic.
4. Oak has a high content of tannins (tannic acid). Wood has a pH of 4 to 6 - means it is slightly acidic and not neutral.
5. The wood boxes that I have with parallels in them have a polymer spacer to hold the parallels and they are not touching the wood.
6. My parallels are stored on edge and always coated in oil

I don't understand the "car talk Bridgeport guy".

I use to work on the boilers in the Elmer’s Glue facility in Bainbridge, NY. Watching 1000s of bottle an hour going down the process line. It was an interesting process, from the “cooking” of the glue, to packaging and labeling. I was there in the final days, when the whole operation was sent to Montreal, to a duty free zone, where the whole process was done by Indian and Pakistani refugees. Sad to see a local business that made all of the Elmer’s Glue products, closed down, I haven’t bought an Elmer’s product since.

Back