Rusty Parallels

I've been thinking about felting some of my tool drawers. The rubbery drawer liner stuff isn't impressing me too much. I'll glue mine down too as I don't like the cloth moving around. McMaster has wool felt up to 1/2" thick https://www.mcmaster.com/#felt/=19ng6r1 but it sure aint cheap. Going to check out that silver cloth as well. https://www.amazon.com/Anti-tarnish...8&qid=1507036721&sr=8-6&keywords=silver+cloth

I can't help but thinking that "Rusty Parallels" might have been the Car Talk Bridgeport operator:)

;)It's good to see a fellow car talk listener. I used to have a friend who loved talking about car talk, but anymore, whenever I mention car talk, all I get are blank expressions of "what's this guy talking about." Click and Clack still rule.

Any chance we can get this thread back on topic, please.

So from what I could gather, the silvercloth is cloth embedded with silver with the intent of preventing sulfur from reaching the metal and requires the piece to be entirely surrounded . Not sure that will do a lot for steel, or be very handy in a toolbox. The felt at McMaster in 1/4" thick isn't too horrible in price. I may look at 2 layers per drawer with the top layer cutout for each tool. With the two pieces bonded together they probably would be rigid enough to not move around without having to stick them down to the box.

1/4" thick is pretty thick. Some of the drawers are only 3/4" deep. The 1/4" would take away 1/3 of the space!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So from what I could gather, the silvercloth is cloth embedded with silver with the intent of preventing sulfur from reaching the metal and requires the piece to be entirely surrounded . Not sure that will do a lot for steel, or be very handy in a toolbox. The felt at McMaster in 1/4" thick isn't too horrible in price. I may look at 2 layers per drawer with the top layer cutout for each tool. With the two pieces bonded together they probably would be rigid enough to not move around without having to stick them down to the box.
I did more research on the silver cloth and you are right, the cloth has sacrificial silver (like zinc on steel) to keep the sulfur getting near the silverware. If there is moisture in the air, the sulfur could become sulfuric acid which could corrode the iron. According to one site on preserving silver, there is some sulfur in wool. I am coming to the conclusion that felt is okay, but a thin coat of oil with a packet of silica gel would work in the long run. That is my 2 cents worth.

...The felt at McMaster in 1/4" thick isn't too horrible in price.

It is common to use good wool felt for oil wiper inserts, and that's probably the best use of quarter-inch material.
Wool is a great wick for light oils, I've seen bearings with a wool felt oil reservoir.
If you want a drawer lineer, the acrylic felt at your local fabric store is probably good (it's what Gerstner recommends). It's
certainly more economic.

Wasn't there an old recommendation to put a lump of camphor into a tool box, to retard rust?
I've never known anyone to actually do it...

I worked in a dye textile room for years. Most white glue is nothing more that starch and water.
Most textile goods is dyed with acid dyes. The water in the glue liquidize the acid dye causing
the rust. Most factory's don't take the time to fast the goods so the dye can not come back out.
Wash you felt with baking soda to neutralize the acid.

Back