Rusty Parallels

I am not surprised at the glue releasing moisture in 1 hour. Could be the felt absorbing some moisture from the glue then releasing the moisture slowly.

I had glued two pieces of wood for a project with Titebond III. I clamped the joint for about 40 mins or more. I cleaned off the joint with a scraper. The glue line was not visible, only the two pieces of wood with different grain.

I left the assembly on my table saw top over night. The next morning I had a thin line of rust. Drat. Easy enough to remove, but a reminder that it takes much longer than cure time for the extra moisture from the glue to dissipate. Lesson learned. I now lay assembles down on a piece of plastic on the table saw top. I use the table saw top since I am constrained for space and it is the largest horizontal space in my shop which is not covered in "stuff".

We love and learn. I'm going to repeat the test and wait longer for the glue to dry. We'll see what happens!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Live not love. We love too.

I think I found the cause of the rusty parallels. I did a test. I bought some new felt and compared it to the old felt. I cut a small piece is each along with a piece of the old felt that I glued to a piece of wood. I placed a small parallel on each of the 3 pieces. After a few days there was signs of rust forming on the glued felt and no sign of any rust on the parallels on the old or new felt that was unglued. Seems the culprit was the white glue. I will leave it testing for a while longer to see what happens. Thanks for all the responses.
Bill

Great experiment! On an earlier forum, another fellow and I went round and round trying to determine why in some cases steel will rust in felt lined cases and not in other felt lined cases. It never occurred to us that the common denominator might had been the glue. I have a felt lined tool box (metal) that I got 4o years ago. The outside shows rust, but the inside holding tools do not show rust. This winter, I was thinking of doing the same test as yours except using different glues and see what happens. Neshkoro, if you want to go ahead and do more experimenting. Go for it. Maybe, this mystery will finally be resolved. I really want to line my boxes with felt, it looks so nice.

I am going to use some different methods to attach the felt; double sided tape , spray adhesive and as someone else mentioned, epoxy. I did recline one of my tool boxes with the same old felt except I did not glue it down. I haven't pot anything back in it yet.

Epoxy???? It would be very hard to clean it up after testing it. The other adhesives sound OK especially the tape.

I built a couple of chests last winter using wool felt and white glue. Can't recall how long they dried before filling them but no sign of rust. I believe Greshner use white glue on their chests.

Greg

There is a noncorrosive felt used in silverware boxes this would be better than walmart felt

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Thats what I used in my Kennedy restore. It is self adhesive and has tarnish inhibitors, which seem to work as well in resisting rust. Not one of my tools shows rust using it.

Back