Rusty Parallels

neshkoro

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
I built this nice little box to hold some of my parallels. I stained it, varnished it and lined it with felt that I bought from Walmart. A couple of weeks later I was going to use a set of them and noticed that the bottom surface of all of them (the surface resting in the felt) was rusty. Nothing else in my shop is rusty. At least not to the extent of the parallels. Any thoughts on why this is happening? I've attached some photos.
Thanks,
Bill
box.JPG SDC10448.JPG SDC10447.JPG

Its a real bummer when you try to protect something and the protection ends up harming that something.
I live in a rather dry climate and have little problem with tools rusting unless I leave them out in the lawn sprinkler.
It seems that the felt is your problem. Ether its attracting moisture or has chemical residues (acidic?) that are
unfriendly to your parallels. Oil is your friend, coast everything including wooden storage boxes with it.
I would get rid of the felt or maybe try oiling it?

CHuck the Grumpy old guy

Walmart chi felt, ied try coating the felt with way oil and the parellels too

Thanks for the reply. I read some years ago that folks who mount photos or people that collect coins have to use acid free paper or there will be a reaction. Maybe I have the same issue.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There is a noncorrosive felt used in silverware boxes this would be better than walmart felt

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

the parallels can be cleaned up with vinegar or Evaporust

#1 on it most likely being the felt. Many synthetic materials use acids in their manufacturing process, unless it is properly neutralized, it will remain in the product and off gas for quite some time. Acid vapors can react with moisture in the air and corrode metal.

I have also seen where they react with things. Almost like a magnet for rust etc. Other item is what was used to glue the felt down. it could also have reacted to the felt causing part of it.
just glad you caught it early.

Thanks for all the replays. I'm getting rid of that felt. A little cleanup with some 2000 grit paper will get rid of the rust.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back