Rust removal by Electolysis

Haven't seen the caveats on cast. Have seen lots of pics from antique hit-n-miss engines and such. Those would be cast, for the most part. I'm sure every method would run into problems when the rust has pitted the parent metal too deeply. I don't see where the higher carbon content of cast would have a detrimental effect on the process.

That's why I like the chemical method of removing rust from iron or steel. ( CLR, EvapoRust, diluted vinegar, very low concentration sulfuric acid solution, or whatever)

It's simpler and the chemical only dissolves the oxidized iron (rust) but leaves the base iron or steel unaffected.
If you see deep pitting after the clean up process it was because those missing parts were already transformed into deep rust to begin with.
There no way to transform rust into its original surface and shape of iron or steel again.

None of the posts claiming problems with cast showed before and after photos, so as has been said maybe the pits were there in the form of rust.

Greg

That's very possible. I use quite a bit of Evapo-rust and sometimes the results aren't quite as eye pleasing as one would hope. It's not the fault of the Evapo-rust because it removes ALL the rust but any pitting hidden by a layer of rust shows up.

-Ron

Around 10:1 water:syrup and lots of patience. Cheap, but slow. Very effective though. Google will turn up lots of hits of how to's and pics. Cheaper to get the ag grade molasses from the feed store. People have built wooden frames and lined them with poly to soak entire car/truck chassis in.

Thanks. I run a horse farm so real molasses is something I always have on hand.

You might consider Naval Jelly too.
I worked at a local meat locker many years ago and that was what they used for cleaning various equipment.
I can't remember the mixture, but we added naval jelly with water in plastic barrels and hung parts in the mixture.
It would remove all the corrosion, but didn't pit or destroy any of the metals or affect the bearings.
After a soak for 12-16 hrs, we would just rinse the parts off with a hot water pressure washer and dip them in mineral oil (due to its food grade properties).
Worked like a charm.

Thank you to all you guys for your suggestions concerning EVAPO RUST. I've never heard of it, but will be looking for some. I have had, what I thought was good success with the electrolysis method, but I'm always open for suggested improvements. I restored an International AV some time ago and used elec. on a ton of parts. Sandable primer followed to fill in the pits, but it looks a lot better than it used to. Good enough for a farmers doings.

Jim

image.jpg

Re: Rust removal by Electolysis or how to use oxalic acid to remove rust

oxalic acid(wood bleach in hardware stores) can also be used. Google how to use oxalic acid to remove rust for lots of info. I've done quite a few projects on woodworking machinery using electrolysis and while it works ok its a bit of a pain in the butt, imo. Disclaimer: I have not tried oxalic acid but have read a lot about it.

Brian

If using molasses, use only the variety from a feed store, it is different than what is available from the grocery store. I have used it with success and it takes around 2 weeks, more if badly rusted. Best part is that the solution can be disposed with no negative environmental impact. My mix was 9:1.

Back