Rust removal by Electolysis

F

f350ca

Forum Guest
Register Today
I'd like to try cleaning up this blower of my forge using electrolysis. This will be a first try at the process.
IMG_0911.jpg

There are brass bushings in the castings that I don't want to try removing. Will the electrolysis affect the brass?

Thanks
Greg

IMG_0911.jpg

Greg, I have read quite a bit about the process, and believe it is undesirable to have non-ferrous materials in the tank. This article mentions a plating effect of the electrode if there is brass, zinc, etc.....probably halting the rust reversal process.

http://myweb.tiscali.co.uk/andyspatch/rust.htm#non

Thanks Tony, that's what I was afraid of. The zinc would probably love to leave the brass.
Greg

I have some other links bookmarked somewhere. I'll read back and see if I can find something more specific. My hunch though, like yours, is that the zinc would migrate out of the bushings.

Have you thought about the molasses method? No electricity involved. Don't recall any concerns there about brass or copper components.

You will effectively start the electromotive series and the free copper/brass will get deposited onto the iron. Get some evap-rust, the directions say that it will not harm copper, brass or aluminum. The alternative would be to clean the bushings really well and apply a coating of silicone caulk or some such thing so as to protect the bushing areas. Let the caulk fully cure before emersion .

Probably will go with the tried and true wire brush method. Have been wanting to try the electrolysis, but guess this isn't the time

Greg

Around 10:1 water:syrup and lots of patience. Cheap, but slow. Very effective though. Google will turn up lots of hits of how to's and pics. Cheaper to get the ag grade molasses from the feed store. People have built wooden frames and lined them with poly to soak entire car/truck chassis in.

Did a little reading on the molasses method, sounds like it works on steel but on a couple of auto posts they claimed it pitted cast badly. One post mentioned a motorcycle flywheel breaking after a soak. Who knows.

Greg

Did a little reading on the molasses method, sounds like it works on steel but on a couple of auto posts they claimed it pitted cast badly. One post mentioned a motorcycle flywheel breaking after a soak. Who knows.

Greg
Maybe the rust was holding it together. :lmao:

Back