Reversible motor runs fine one way, blow circuit breaker in reverse.

Also just for reference here are the diagrams for the switches. Since everything works except when trying to reverse the motor, maybe the reverse (L) wire is hooked up incorrectly.

09101B2D-C270-483B-8DED-7D726B5F41EE.jpeg
A0B83202-0CAF-4823-8D9B-96CD04797354.jpeg

Didn't this machine work properly before? Wires don't just reconnect themselves :)
The problem seems to be clearly in the motor regardless- you've just proven it
I think you should open it up- what say guys?

Last edited:
Didn't this machine work properly before? Wires don't just reconnect themselves :)
The problem seems to be clearly in the motor regardless- you've just proven it
I think you should open it up- what say guys?
I actually don’t think the reverse ever worked. I have had this machine for years-I haven’t used it in at least 12-13 years, got into other hobbies and it sat in my shop. Memory is foggy so I can’t say 100% it didn’t work, but with how things are testing out I’m going to say it didn’t.
Regardless the forward running part is great.

I’ve already opened up the motor about an hour ago. No dice. Everything looks great inside. No burnt smells, no pinched or skinned wires. Very perplexing.

Ah OK, now we are getting to the crux of the biscuit- you should have mentioned that before (like in your first post)
More info is always better
I guess the next step is- I'm not sure.. Have to cogitate on it for a bit
I'm going to take another look at the motor's terminal board- something looked fishy to me
I suspect we may be dealing with a factory screwup that you never noticed

Yes, post 33 I see what looks like vertical straps across pairs of terminals- If those are indeed metal straps that's your problem
They shouldn't be there
-M

Last edited:
Ah OK, now we are getting to the crux of the biscuit- you should have mentioned that before (like in your first post)
More info is always better
I guess the next step is- I'm not sure.. Have to cogitate on it for a bit
I'm going to take another look at the motor's terminal board- something looked fishy to me
I suspect we may be dealing with a factory screwup that you never noticed

Yes, post 33 I see what looks like vertical straps across pairs of terminals- If those are indeed metal straps that's your problem
They shouldn't be there
-M
Really?? Ok interesting.

First of all THANKS for sticking with me on this- I can’t thank you enough.

Second, here are some more pics. I honestly ( in my limited knowledge) can’t see or find anything wrong with this motor.

9D875C22-05AE-4A99-B5DE-8934BB774F5E.jpeg0F307E22-DAF1-4368-91BD-E7713A857B6F.jpegD4E0A9DC-3AE9-4CCD-93C6-19AC33E62347.jpeg248CBD43-8F3D-4910-9410-3FA73441B8EC.jpeg

Mark- YOU ARE THE MAN!!

I removed both metal bridges and the motor is running F/R without any issues!

Thank you so much!!!

Only question now is did both bridges need removed? I’m assuming it doesn’t matter since the motor looks to be running fine but before I put it all back together I want to make sure.

Obviously a factory screwup that went unnoticed and undetected until now- My best guess
Yes both straps come off. I thought I saw something weird about a dozen posts back but couldn't believe my eyes, so to speak
You realize you will be ruining your perfect record of never using reverse on this lathe- it could have earth-shattering consequences

Last edited:
Obviously a factory screwup that went unnoticed and undetected until now- My best guess
Yes both straps come off
You realize you will ruining your perfect record of never using reverse on this lathe- it could have earth-shattering consequences
LOL.

Well….after bugging everyone and being persistent- I learned a LOT. It was more my OCD and knowing it had to be something simple.

Thanks again for all your help.

Did you buy this lathe new? Then it certainly was a factory mistake. If one lives long enough one will see just about everything at least once
With the straps there were effectively only two wires to the motor. It takes four to reverse an ac motor (sometimes 3 is enough on 240 volts)

Last edited:
Did you buy this lathe new? Then it certainly was a factory mistake. If one lives long enough one will see just about everything at least once
With the straps there were effectively only two wires to the motor. It takes four to reverse an ac motor (sometimes 3 is enough on 240 volts)
Yes sir it was new. But also my first lathe. Didn’t know much about any of it.

I repowdercoated it, and she’s ready to go.

9E888A43-44B5-4DAA-AB89-9C360F4D1992.jpeg

Back