Reversible motor runs fine one way, blow circuit breaker in reverse.

Yes. You got it. If there is a short, I have a hunch that it will most likely be the red or blue wire. Then you will have to take apart the motor. If you have not done anything like this. First make a mark across the cover and the case. That's so when you put it back together, both pieces will line up. Taking pictures will help a lot. Remove the case screws. Carefully pry apart. The centrifugal switch is the hard part. If you look inside just right, you will see two screws that hold a plastic plate called a centrifugal switch. Inside the wires are a different color. Mine were a blueish green as shown in the previous photo on comment no, 8. This will give you more room to fix the bare spot on the wire. While you are about it, look for any burnt spots and sniff for any burnt smells. Hopefully there won't be any. After repairing the wire, carefully put it back together making sure that no wires get pinched. Spin it by hand to make sure that nothing is interfering with the rotor. Test again to make sure that there are no shorts. After this you should be good to go. Good luck my friend.
Thank you very much for all your detailed help and explanations.

Hate to bring this to life again, thought I had the problem solved but apparently not.
Found a loose connection on the yellow/green striped wire and was like HA, got it. Nope.

I tested the wires as described above, I’m not getting any resistance across the motor harness leads. Motor runs like a champ in FW speed. I am still waiting on the new F/R switch so I can rule any switch issues out.

Question…is there a way to hook the motor up directly to power to check it in FW and Reverse- bypassing any switches?

@markba633csi can you tell me how to check my resistance from the terminals on my electric motor?

I have a Z1 and Z2, and a U1 and U2.

I’m still trying to track down my breaker tripping issue. Could the capacitors be a problem? To my eyes everything looks good. No chafed wires or anything.

447D88C5-DFD0-4E34-913A-F0223AF41B61.jpeg

You checked all the motor wires with respect to ground with your meter? No continuity to ground noted on any of them?

You checked all the motor wires with respect to ground with your meter? No continuity to ground noted on any of them?
Correct. I placed my probe on the ground wire in the bottom left corner and the red probe on each of the 4 individual terminals. Also checked each wire from harness connections to terminals to make sure there were no broken wires.

I’m starting to wonder if the magnetic on/off safety switch is the culprit.

OK. Capacitors unlikely to be the problem. I think it might be a good idea to disconnect the motor and see if the breaker still trips
If the problem is similar to Dogoods then the motor may not show a short when stopped

Last edited:
OK. Capacitors unlikely to be the problem. I think it might be a good idea to disconnect the motor and see if the breaker still trips
If the problem is similar to Dogoods then the motor may not show a short when stopped
So am I just disconnecting the feeds from the motor only, leaving the rest of the power feeds going to the start/stop switch and F/R switch hooked up?

Before you do that, you might try doing the resistance tests again, but spin the motor by hand as you do it. The short may only appear at a certain rotational position of the centrifugal switch as it brushes against the damaged wire inside

Before you do that, you might try doing the resistance tests again, but spin the motor by hand as you do it. The short may only appear at a certain rotational position of the centrifugal switch as it brushes against the damaged
Duplicate

Last edited:
Before you do that, you might try doing the resistance tests again, but spin the motor by hand as you do it. The short may only appear at a certain rotational position of the centrifugal switch as it brushes against the damaged wire inside
No issues with continuity spinning the motor by hand. However breaker does not trip when turning the F/R switch with motor disconnected. I have a good 120v coming in to switches.

I’m wondering now if it’s a wiring issue where the wires from the motor are crossed somewhere.

Back