Retirement is Official!

Charlie,
Let’s see, Boeing or Apple?
The only large corporation I ever worked for was the Hertz Corp. back in the mid 80’s. I was a regional parts manager. Yes, the management was pretty bad. I saw so much waste.
When I tried to do something about it, I was told it would make the city manager look bad, to back off.
I left soon after.
Boeing.

I retired at age 49, not because I wanted to, but had to for medical reasons. Financially we are set and have a disability income until age 67 (I hope!). For me, it was a huge psychological blow because I lost not only my career that I spent my entire life building, but I also lost my identity. Fortunately, I have always been busy and after the initial shock of not flying subsided, I became more productive but after a while, I felt like I needed more. I now work part-time (20 hours/wk) in a completely different industry and, for the most part, enjoy it. After I put 40% in an IRA, I still have about $1000/mo I can blow invest in tools or whatever.
I would like to add that retirement and mental health are inexorably intertwined. I had a friend that flew for the same company but was let go due to him making a stupid decision. Two months later he killed himself. He was in his mid 50's and was financially set but that did not matter.

My first retirement was at age 36. Bought a Sailboat and spent a few years sailing around the world. A Myford 7 and Drill Press will fit nicely in the Aft Starboard cabin of a Prout Quasar and come in quite handy.

After retirement I started 3 new businesses, employing over 100 people.

Retired again at 50. That did not last either, bought a Racetrack and started a performance riding school with the assistance of Kenny Roberts Sr.

Along the way

I retired at age 49, not because I wanted to, but had to for medical reasons. Financially we are set and have a disability income until age 67 (I hope!). For me, it was a huge psychological blow because I lost not only my career that I spent my entire life building, but I also lost my identity. Fortunately, I have always been busy and after the initial shock of not flying subsided, I became more productive but after a while, I felt like I needed more. I now work part-time (20 hours/wk) in a completely different industry and, for the most part, enjoy it. After I put 40% in an IRA, I still have about $1000/mo I can blow invest in tools or whatever.
I would like to add that retirement and mental health are inexorably intertwined. I had a friend that flew for the same company but was let go due to him making a stupid decision. Two months later he killed himself. He was in his mid 50's and was financially set but that did not matter.

I was a firefighter, and you see a lot of that group identity thing. For many people the job is a big part of their life, and their co-workers are the only people who understand a lot of what they do so it can be hard to leave the group. Some do make a clean break, but you find many moving to a related field teaching, fire protection companies, fire equipment sales etc so they still have some sort of connection. Many have a hard time with the transition.

I was lucky, my employer hires thousands of short term employees to help manage major fires and other disasters around the country so I've been able to wean myself away and can make pretty good money doing it. Theoretically I can still do fire line work, but mostly I've been doing logistical support and dispatch. It pays the about the same, is in higher demand and is a lot easier on my body.
I work a lot for a guy who is supposedly retired. My plan was to work 2-6 weeks a year, but it has turned into more like 3-6 months a year because the phone keep ringing. This past year I started in March and worked until Thanksgiving with some breaks here and there.

Congratulations! I think you'll find retirement "the best job ever"

Been retired 11 years now, (73), love it.
Loved my teaching, totally detested the pathetic waste of time admin work that solved nothing.
stupid paper work for its own sake that took up more time than actually teaching.
BUT, I've said it before, you will need other interests, preferably more than one else the dreaded sit in the chair staring out the window will get you.
Two of the guys who were younger than me but left at the same time are now dead, they had no hobbies or interests.
I dont see that happening to anyone on here, we all seem to have so many projects that theres no chance of getting bored.
I took early retirement for 2 reasons,
1, as listed above
2, so I was still young enough and healthy enough to travel which I did, Philippines (twice), Singapore, Malaysia, Japan (3 times), China, America, Canada, just getting ready to book Korea and Vietnam when covid hit.
Do what you want asap before any regrets get any chance of settling in.
Savarin,
I think you may be right. I’ve seen it too, people retire with no interests, watch tv then end up dead or in a home.
Thankfully my bride of 38 years won’t let me be bored. She has me doing yoga daily and we walk, hike, explore miles each day. I feel great.
Besides, we have lots to do and I have my shop thank God!

My first retirement was at age 36. Bought a Sailboat and spent a few years sailing around the world. A Myford 7 and Drill Press will fit nicely in the Aft Starboard cabin of a Prout Quasar and come in quite handy.

After retirement I started 3 new businesses, employing over 100 people.

Retired again at 50. That did not last either, bought a Racetrack and started a performance riding school with the assistance of Kenny Roberts Sr.

Along the way
Welcome!
Your story is a bit different :)

Last edited:
55 this year... so still have a few more years before I can retire... but I am so ready for it...

I can't complain about most of my management team... most of those folks have been great mentors/coaches for me... Most, not all... I have had my share of difficult/wrong-fit leads...

But overall, very fortunate of the opportunities, learnings, amazing co-workers.... Got to work with a global team (still am), travel the world, learn of different cultures, all this has also influenced my two children... really, can't complain.
Sounds like you have a great job!

Back