Retirement is Official!

Congratulations Jeff! I'm essentially there too; have to go in on Monday, February 28 and turn in my badge, phone and laptop. I'm on vacation until then. It's like I was being forced to watch a TV show every day, but the series finale hit. Now looking forward to watching other shows!

Bruce

Congratulations! And welcome to the club. I have been retired for 18 months with no regrets, and I delight at not having to drive to work on these icy snowy mornings.

Today I turn 65.
The Social Security check arrives the second Wednesday of every month. Next Wednesday is my first check!!!!
I went to the doctor last Thursday.
My copay was zero.
My son coaches basketball for his 7-8 school. My wife and I got the senior discount.
This is great!
I’m really settling in to this new life Style :)
Should have turned 65 years ago!

I should add, today we left home for a week of fun to enjoy this beautiful California weather. 71 degrees today.
We left on a Sunday and we return on Saturday. A working man doesn’t keep this schedule.
I know, I shouldn’t rub it in. Hey, I worked full time for 50 years!
Congrats Jeff. I was forced into retirement last November but recently was contacted by Boeing who asked if I would come back either as a Contractor or Employee. Not illegible for six month after leaving. I am planning on taking them up on it. It would be full time virtual, meaning I could move anywhere I want and work from my home. Pretty good deal. I had originally wanted to work for another year anyway so this is good.

Jeff, when you say your Copay was zero, do you have Midicare supplemental coverage or something else. I ran out of my medicine and use that GoodRX, was shocked at how little it cost me.

Congratulations!!!

Do let us know when you are done with all the tasks on you wife's list for you... I am told that only then will it feel like you are actually retired. :D

Me too! Just 25 short years left!

I really wish I liked the show. Did you? Lol
I liked most of it. I will miss my co-workers but not most of the leaders. It gets frustrating when a stupidly simple solution presents itself, but is then ignored for some unknown reason. Quick example is the plant I worked at(ah, that past-tense has a nice ring to it!) was down for chip shortage issues last year during the summer. We were given the option of layoff on a 70% paycheck or twiddle your thumbs at work. Most of us took the layoff which was essentially buying weeks of vacation for 30% of your weekly paycheck. People had a lot of vacation left at the end of the year; use it or lose it. Really slim pickings for coverage at the end of the year. A senior-level manager was concerned, "How are we going to support production the week before Christmas if everyone is on vacation?" One of my co-workers suggested letting us carry a week of vacation over to 2022; take the first week of the year off. Our plant was down the first 3 weeks of the year anyhow, no harm, no foul. "Oh, we can't do that, it's against company policy to carry vacation over". Yet, HE and two managers under him have carried 1 or 2 weeks of vacation over the last 2 years. Won't miss it!

Bruce

Congratulations Jeff! I'm essentially there too; have to go in on Monday, February 28 and turn in my badge, phone and laptop. I'm on vacation until then. It's like I was being forced to watch a TV show every day, but the series finale hit. Now looking forward to watching other shows!

Bruce
You are on vacation until your last day? Sounds like you are there buddy.
Congratulations, back at you.

I liked most of it. I will miss my co-workers but not most of the leaders. It gets frustrating when a stupidly simple solution presents itself, but is then ignored for some unknown reason. Quick example is the plant I worked at(ah, that past-tense has a nice ring to it!) was down for chip shortage issues last year during the summer. We were given the option of layoff on a 70% paycheck or twiddle your thumbs at work. Most of us took the layoff which was essentially buying weeks of vacation for 30% of your weekly paycheck. People had a lot of vacation left at the end of the year; use it or lose it. Really slim pickings for coverage at the end of the year. A senior-level manager was concerned, "How are we going to support production the week before Christmas if everyone is on vacation?" One of my co-workers suggested letting us carry a week of vacation over to 2022; take the first week of the year off. Our plant was down the first 3 weeks of the year anyhow, no harm, no foul. "Oh, we can't do that, it's against company policy to carry vacation over". Yet, HE and two managers under him have carried 1 or 2 weeks of vacation over the last 2 years. Won't miss it!

Bruce
Like you, I loved my work and the people I worked with (for the most part), but management, for the most part left a lot to be desired. Very entitled, always looking to use you to advance their own and with the attitude of "Do as I say, not as I do!". In the last couple of years I was there, I was in Product Development, my management there were some of the best.

Back