Restoring a Rockwell/Delta Disc/Belt Finishing Machine

Hi Mark,
The old lathe motor would be much to heavy and large for the cabinet to support without major rework. That lathe motor is a 3hp beast. The Rockwell is a 1.5 hp. A sealed motor would be nice but not necessary with the dust control set up I'm planning (hopefully). Trying to keep the cost down as possible, with no "mad money" due to the shoulder recovery, I would have to steal a sealed motor. :angel: It should work well for what I need and will only pull 8.5 amps @ 230v single phase. The Koyo sealed bearings ran $4.97 ea.

Picked up the sealed bearings during lunch break and got them installed after work. I happened to have a sleeve I had turned some years back that was a few thou larger than the shaft and pressed against the inner race. The process went smoothly. Assembling the motor end also went without issues. We used the long assembly bolts to press the bearings (OD) into the end cover bosses by gently tightening in an alternating fashion and tapping the end covers with a hard plastic tip mallet. The motor shafts now spins freely. I also realized this motor is a sealed type with no vents to be found on the housing. For the life of me, I can't figure out how it was loaded with sawdust, but I suppose with years of wood shop use, sawdust found its way in.

This bearing size is so common the bearing house in town keeps 100 in stock.
IMG_0624.JPG
The pressing operation.
IMG_0625.JPG IMG_0626.JPG
Reassembled motor front view.
IMG_0631.JPG
Rear view, the vented end cover allows air to be pulled in by plastic impeller that cools the sealed housing.
IMG_0632.JPG
In this pre-assembled photo you can see the rear end cover (aluminum) with no vents. I'm a knucklehead for posting previously that this was not a sealed motor.
I guess I won't have to steal one after all......:burned up:
IMG_0185.JPG
The data plate indicates a continuous duty.
IMG_0629.JPG
Thanks for looking.

A die grinder was used with a 2" roll-loc paint tripper (plastic) to clean off painted machine surfaces. I plan on masking off all machined mating surfaces prior to repainting. I noticed adjusting the tables where not as smooth as I would like and determined the painted machine surfaces (trunnions) where the cause. View attachment 226702View attachment 226703
Very cool machine! Takes me back to junior high shop class!

What is that green thing on the die grinder and where do I get one?

ACHiPo, Duker,
Thank you.

The plastic green thing is a 3M bristle stripper. I believe they come in 50 grade (green), 80 grade (yellow), and 120 grade (white). I purchased these in 2" rolocs and 4" roloc some years back. I purchased them for stripping hard to reach areas on automotive restoration projects. The plastic bristles are impregnated with ceramic if I remember correctly. They suck for large areas but shine for detailed work, they also require higher RPM's to work.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/3M-Scotch-B...012660?hash=item4d3fa13a74:g:ldoAAOSwUuFWw32V

The grade vs grit is not the same, that said, grade 50 (green) is not abrasive nor can you remove metal like a 50 grit disc.

Last edited by a moderator:
Looking very nice! I am enjoying watching this restore come together.
Thanks for posting this !

Looking very nice! I am enjoying watching this restore come together.
Thanks for posting this !

Thanks Greg,
Considering the start time, it is coming to an end and the the machine will be in service soon. I have enjoyed the process and like I mentioned, It has been a good way for me to ease back into the shop. Some long days considering I'm back on a 40 hour work week (lite duty), but fun and exciting. The other neat aspect to this project is the involvement with my son whom I missed most of his twenties while he served our country over the past decade. He has been there from the time we picked up the machine and throughout the process of restoration. I know he's learned new things along the way as I have, but more importantly, we're spending quality shop time together.

I hope others can pick up a thing or two along the way as well.
Thanks for your kind support and feedback, I have and continue to learn from HM members and like to reciprocate any way I can.

Paco

I was recovering from a ruptured bicep in the middle of my heavy 10L restore. About to start on my powermatic/burke mvn restore. Funny thing is I am going in for surgery soon for an umbilical hernia repair. I have had it for 10 years or more but it is starting to be painfully daily. Working on our machines is good therapy if our body allows it, lol.

Last edited:
Good luck with the hernia repair. My Bicep rupture was the least of my pain compared to the rest of the associated rotator cuff tendon damage I suffered from. I will need to have another procedure soon, it seems I have some hardware that is working its way out and creating a sharp pointed lump and using a seat belt is painful. I told the surgeon during my last followup that he should have used red loc-tite to secure the screw in place. He had this dumb look on his face......

Got the lower cabinet ready for paint tomorrow. Need to mask off the openings, wipe one last time and shoot the silver hammer tone.
IMG_0635.JPG IMG_0636.JPG

Back