Restoring a Rockwell/Delta Disc/Belt Finishing Machine

Cool project, it's been fun to follow along.

Glad to see you out in the shop. As to speed, unless you get into knife making you shouldn't need variable speeds. I plan on building a 2x72" belt sander and most likely will go with a single speed around 3000 sfm. I only work in metal so the higher speed would be nice.

Cool project, it's been fun to follow along.

Glad to see you out in the shop. As to speed, unless you get into knife making you shouldn't need variable speeds. I plan on building a 2x72" belt sander and most likely will go with a single speed around 3000 sfm. I only work in metal so the higher speed would be nice.

Thanks Dan,
Its good to be back and working with my hands again. Thanks for the input on the speed question, it will be mostly for general steel fabrication and profile work.
Been wanting one for some time now and figured I put the time and effort in while I'm still unable to take on larger heavier projects.

Gona be a good one, nice job on refurbishment. Might of missed it but how's the platen,
I have a similar machine I got new 20+ years ago and the platen is now pretty worn out ,yours is most likely replaceable mine is not without replacing the whole frame. I'm thinking of useing JB weld to fill in the void and machine it flat again.
Again nice job on yours Paco

Excellent project!!!!

Thanks Matthew, Its been fun getting back into shop work.

Gona be a good one, nice job on refurbishment. Might of missed it but how's the platen,
I have a similar machine I got new 20+ years ago and the platen is now pretty worn out ,yours is most likely replaceable mine is not without replacing the whole frame. I'm thinking of useing JB weld to fill in the void and machine it flat again.
Again nice job on yours Paco

Thanks dlane,
The Platen is in fantastic shape. I neglected to post that part of the refurb, a flat edge shows its flat and serviceable . I ended up painting the back side of it gloss black. The heavy cast is in nice shape, probably because it was used in a H.S. wood shop environment. Your correct, its bolted to the main cast body. I have seen them skim coated with JB weld to fill in the low belly with great results.

The weather cooperated for spaying the cast pieces, top cover and metal covers.

The underside was shot first.
IMG_0591.JPG
As mentioned earlier in the post, all machined surfaces where stripped and masked off. The cast frame was also grooved from poor tracking and was repaired with JB weld.
IMG_0589.JPG
Before. The groove was fairly deep about .200" Notice the factory painted machine surfaces.
IMG_0476.JPG
Waited two hours and flipped to spay the top sides. Really have had good luck with Rust-olium hammer tones in the past. Today was no different, I used a 15+ year old HF HVLP "el cheapo" gravity feed gun. Its my go to gun for primers, shop equipment and clear coats.
IMG_0590.JPG IMG_0593.JPG IMG_0594.JPG IMG_0595.JPG IMG_0596.JPG IMG_0597.JPG
Remember the groove damage on top cover? JB Kwick-weld is a excellent application for this repair.
IMG_0598.JPG
Before repaired...
IMG_0477.JPG
IMG_0599.JPG
I'll next focus on the lower cabinet and the lower dust shoot. The color on the lower cabinet will be hammer tone silver. I need to enlist some help to pull the motor out as the shoulder isn't ready for that yet.
Thanks for looking and as always any and all comments are appreciated (good or constructive).
Turn and burn...
Paco

Beautiful finish! Would that I were closer to you. I'd be over to help in a quick minute!

Beautiful finish! Would that I were closer to you. I'd be over to help in a quick minute!

Thanks John,

I really like the darker finishes, it help keep things looking clean via camouflage hahah.
I'm sure my son will help remove the motor, but your always welcome for a visit.
Time for a break...

Nice job on the NEW sander! Good to see you can get back to work even if its limited.

Back