Replacing the broken bearings in my pm1440gs headstock

If the suffix is RZ,then it has one rubbing (grease) seal,one tin shield ......if RS,then just one rubbing seal (grease) on one side,other open.Generally , only a 2RS bearing will be "lifetime lubricated",(which works OK in oil,because there is a slight oil leak into the balls as the seals wear)...............as to noise ......sometimes Chinese bearings are noisy,very noisy,especially in electric motors at 3600revs......This does not mean they have failed or run dry,because on inspection ,they are OK ,and have plenty of clean grease.Anyway,make up a driver that puts equal pressure against inner and outer races,or the bearing will brinnel.Avoid driving if possible ,and pull the bearing in ............and rolling element dont need much oil,and flood oiling carries dirt and damaging particles into the balls.....If the balls lock on a piece of foreign matter,the cage may break,causing a true failure where the balls fall out and often get jammed in gear teeth.

Attachments

• Bearing-Closures-Technical-Information-Sheet_ENB-04-0556.pdf
    596.1 KB · Views: 87
Thanks for the input dabbler.
Matt says he has ordered me NSK unsealed bearings. He feels it will be better for this application. I'm going to go on his experience with this. My machine is one of the earlier models, I realize this is just the 1440bv and other models with upgrades. I am guessing the factory and matt have seen enough of these at this point to know what is the best.
I removed the linkage, pulled the shaft, cleaned her up and set all the gears back on, except for the 1st 2 gears on the pulley side.... when the bearings get her I'll take a long hard look at her and decide which end goes in first.
Still a ways to go, almost seeing light at the end of the tunnel.View attachment 296399View attachment 296400
Any updates?

An easy fix is the large magnetic washers fitted in Fuller Roadranger gearboxes.....they are just a thick 2" dia washer magnet that sticks to the cast iron of the transmission and collects any magnetic chips in the oil....they stay put in a truck ,so a lathe wont move them...very effective,and generally look like a black donut at overhaul.

Yep we bought them by the tubes. Those magnets are glued with yellow glue in the transmission case or that was the way the did it before I retired. This would be an awesome deal in a lathe

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Success at last. Interesting how quickly the solution solved the problem once you got to talk to the "horses mouth." Knowing how something is put together so you can take it apart is often the solution. There are many things about machine design that could be much better if the designer had to service them.

Is the machine back together and running?

So Richl what s going on with your pile of metal you have been struggling with since the day you got it? I remember you being told not to phone and they wanted you to deal with the issue through text messages.
Now you've had to come and post on the forum to get help.
Any chance you ll hit 40hrs when you hit your two year anniversary in August?
Any results?

Last edited:
“I remember you being told not to phone and they wanted you to deal with the issue through text messages.”

Did I miss an episode here? I reread all of the post and saw nothing like that. Was this a private message conversation?

I am very happy with my p.m.1440 GT absolutely no complaints. But I also have a p.m.1054 mill on order so I am really “interested “ in customer service

I started a thread along time ago when I was looking for a lathe . Richl was one of the ones that followed my thread and I was very interested in the pm 1440 gs. I sparked Richl some interest and he followed through with a purchase of his current pm 1440 gs and we had our own conversation and it continued after his purchase and his awfull experience.
It looks to be a good machine and might be all sorted at this time.
I didn t think it was very funny and my first comment on his lathe being a lemon should have been left alone!
It is what it is! I feel sorry for the guy!!!!

What happened to him could happen to any of us. I have a 1440GS as well, although mine was purchased just this last January. I am very much interested in the outcome and processes he had to go through in case I am ever confronted with issues like this. Anyone know what outcome was?

richl will update you when there is news.

Back