Replacement G0709 compound index plate

@mac1911 try printing this out on paper, cutting it out, and seeing whether it even fits your cross slide. If not, you can use my FreeCAD model and change the constraints so that it does. But you might not want the same design at all. If I didn't already have a machined groove to fit in and were just attaching it to a flat surface, I would have made a different index instead of trying to reproduce the original shape.

I'm with @wachuko — I don't want to try to turn a buck on my hobbies at this point, I'd rather share, and keep hobbies and job separate. I like my job and I like my hobbies, but also I like them separate. ☺

@wachuko I'm learning a bit more about FreeCAD and SVG export. If I export the outline sketch as SVG I get something that can be cut. I'll play with this a bit more. Maybe I can provide an SVG that ends up looking better. ☺

@wachuko STOP THE PRESSES!

Your wife should be much happier with the new version of the SVG I uploaded just now.

I fixed stroke and fill, put the outline, index marks, and numbers in separate layers, and generally made it better to laser. Additionally, each is available in a separate file as well as one that combines them in layers. Because I had both stroke and fill before, the tick marks and numbers were too thick. You can change color for each layer if you are using engraving software that uses colors to identify what to vector cut, vector engrave, and raster engrave. Now the outline is a thin stroke, no fill for cutting, and the tick marks and numbers are no stroke, only fill for raster engraving.

Also, I fixed the PDF file, so @mac1911 feel free to print out and try the better PDF.

I re-did my laminated version, and it's much better.

1706368888708.png

1706368906974.png

Last edited:
@wachuko STOP THE PRESSES!

Your wife should be much happier with the new version of the SVG I uploaded just now.

I fixed stroke and fill, put the outline, index marks, and numbers in separate layers, and generally made it better to laser. Additionally, each is available in a separate file as well as one that combines them in layers. Because I had both stroke and fill before, the tick marks and numbers were too thick. You can change color for each layer if you are using engraving software that uses colors to identify what to vector cut, vector engrave, and raster engrave. Now the outline is a thin stroke, no fill for cutting, and the tick marks and numbers are no stroke, only fill for raster engraving.

Also, I fixed the PDF file, so @mac1911 feel free to print out and try the better PDF.
@mcdanlj , that looks amazing!!

I will download and test today... running out of old license plates, lol.

Last edited:
I have discovered that I have made use of a FreeCAD feature that is currently only available in the weekly builds: the ability to justify text centered. So if you download 0.21.x (current stable branch) it won't work. Until 0.22.x is released, a recent weekly build will be required if you want to work with the model.

Day got a bit complicated with father-in-law and I also had to connect to work... so nothing done today.

I did order aluminum 5"x5"x1/64" cut sheets that should be here on Monday.

Tomorrow I will just test on another MDF piece... after a work-related call that I have at 8am ET...

Test.jpeg

Definitely better. And outer could be set to cut. Thank you. Will test on aluminum for engraving... might even test on acrylic and engrave and cut just for kicks...

Played with the aluminum sheets that came in...

Painted one with RustOleum Hammered Green... but forgot to change the border setting for more passes...

The other one, I left it bare aluminum.

Test-1.jpeg

That green is on-brand for Griz — they should crib off your notes! ☺

I'd be likely to spill acetone on the green at some point though, probably after dripping dykem on it... I see that you can get anodized aluminum blank sheets in all sorts of sizes and colors. I had been thinking of engraving 1/8" 6061, filling with enamel, and then face milling it to thickness, but I suppose engraving color might look nice too. So many options!

I just bought an rPi 4 to install linuxcnc to bring my CNC mill back to life, so at some point I should be able to actually finally make my own instead of living vicariously through your efforts.

How were you thinking of cutting them out? Rough cut with a fret saw and file/dremel to the line?

Back