Replacement G0709 compound index plate

For the life of me I could not find the one I bought to install... and removing the original proved a challenge... so I need more time to find the new one and see how I can remove the old one...

So I used a license plate to test. Looks promising... just one pass... To make it deeper I will need to decrease the speed and make several passes.

Plan is to place an MDF board, engrave it to use as a template to locate the original piece... and engrave away...

Dial.jpeg

Looks good! And the plan to make and use a template/jig makes lots of sense.

Are you using the DXF? The latest version of the SVG should have the numbers filled in rather than being outlines.

I think that if you don't care about the markings on the original plate, flooding it with acetone and letting that eat the adhesive underneath will probably work to remove it.

That was with the SVG file, I think... I sent all the files to my wife via email (no, we are not divorced, lol), pretty sure she used the SVG... We both work from home and she has all this stuff next to her home office desk...

I will double check later...

But really! Inner line is a set of small lines!!?? Hahahahhaha... She was going to have the outer border be set to cut and inner lines and numbers to engrave... until se noticed that the inner curved line is not a single line but a bunch of small lines. I could hear her from my office... I just told her to just do engraving without cutting...

I will download the SVG file again as well...

Now... where the heck did a stored the new index plate... good grief!

The SVG export from FreeCAD completely failed. I exported DXF, which worked better, then imported the DXF in inkscape and exported as SVG, and modified the SVG in inkscape. I also was sad that it was lots of lines instead of curves. I agree, I wish it were a compound of four circular arc sections; that's what it is in the original sketch for the model...

If I had planned for an SVG in the first place, I probably would have started in inkscape. But I know less about inkscape than FreeCAD.

The SVG export from FreeCAD completely failed. I exported DXF, which worked better, then imported the DXF in inkscape and exported as SVG, and modified the SVG in inkscape. I also was sad that it was lots of lines instead of curves. I agree, I wish it were a compound of four circular arc sections; that's what it is in the original sketch for the model...

If I had planned for an SVG in the first place, I probably would have started in inkscape. But I know less about inkscape than FreeCAD.
I am just very appreciative of you sharing this. I could have not done it... not there yet.

Mystery solved... it looks like an outline because she did not use the "Engraving" option. She had it on "Score". That will not fill the inside of the letters...

So that is easy to correct in the final run.

Mystery solved... it looks like an outline because she did not use the "Engraving" option. She had it on "Score". That will not fill the inside of the letters...

So that is easy to correct in the final run.
Will you be able to produce these for others ?

Will you be able to produce these for others ?

Hobbyist and newbie... keep that in mind. I do not have the means to perfectly cut the shape... I can certainly do this on a flat sheet of aluminum, like the test made in the back of the license plate.

My plan for the one that I have, is to engrave on the new one I ordered. If anyone in the forum sends me a blank, sure, I can engrave it as a favor.

But first I need to successfully perform this on the plate that I have. Got to find it first :D :rolleyes: .

I do not plan to make them to sell... this is all a hobby for me...

Hobbyist and newbie... keep that in mind. I do not have the means to perfectly cut the shape... I can certainly do this on a flat sheet of aluminum, like the test made in the back of the license plate.

My plan for the one that I have, is to engrave on the new one I ordered. If anyone in the forum sends me a blank, sure, I can engrave it as a favor.

But first I need to successfully perform this on the plate that I have. Got to find it first :D :rolleyes: .

I do not plan to make them to sell... this is all a hobby for me...
Well theres nothing wrong with making a buck enjoying the hobby.
Keep us posted. Im looking for a solution myself

Well theres nothing wrong with making a buck enjoying the hobby.
Keep us posted. Im looking for a solution myself
Nothing wrong with that... but the day I start doing that, then it turns into work and kills all the fun for me. :)

If I can successfully do this, and if I can remove the old one without damaging it... I will engrave it and you can have it! How is that?

Back