Removal Of Hex Nut From Clutch Mechanism Under The Star Shaped Knob

Getting the hammer blow energy to the taper pin is important. You do not want it going to a flimsy punch or to the rest of the carriage assembly. Only to the taper pin. And I forgot to mention that a round punch could be a little longer than you would like. Longer is not good. Again, could lose energy. If the punch is too long, I would shorten it first. I might be sounding like I’m out there. But for me this is important. I have never had any bad luck removing a taper pin. Some have been stubborn. But they all came out…Dave.
Dave, can I still do this if the broken bits are stuck in the hole at both ends(since I will be hitting the broken drill bits first)The taper pin is stuck in between
both broken drill bits.
Kerry

Starrett pin punches is all that I will use, or that will hold up longer. And if you have to, shorten the length of the pin on the punch so it is less likely to bend on you when you give it that sharp blow. I sometimes use a pair of vise-grips to hold the punch. And put on some heavy gloves to soften the blow if you hit yourself with the hammer!
Thanks for the advice I have a 4-5 lb sledge hammer I'm going to try hit the obviously narrow end of the hole . but like I said before I'll be hitting the
broken drill bit first.
Kerry

Thank you for all your help, and all the replies. I am soaking the taper pin in the hole with a 50:50 mix of ATF/acetone,
for a few days to gain my confidence and strength to start again!!

However ,I'm stuck on the disassembly of the apron. I have the older version with the star
shaped clutch actuator mechanism. Mostly everything else came off fairly easier. In the manual it was stated
that after the star knob is removed , in order to take out the clutch mechanism the hex nut must be removed
first. In order to do this, it stated to grip the clutch gear from the rear and remove the hex nut. However when
the clutch gear is held the idler gear (which is geared into the smaller gear attached to the draw bar of the
clutch mechanism)still continues to move. I'm afraid that if I'm able to wedge a piece of wood to hold the idler
gear, which meshes with the small gear of the clutch the teeth will break?

For that hex nut, even if you don't want to secure the gear in the back if you use an impact wrench it will spin off anyway.

For that hex nut, even if you don't want to secure the gear in the back if you use an impact wrench it will spin off anyway
Hi Catskinner,

I'm literally out of my mind from this one fre&*k#n HEX NUT. I cannot secure the gears directly attached to the clutch screw rod. No matter how hard
I try even with a piece of wood wedged in, the gears ALWAYS manage to MOVE!
So with an impact wrench I do not need to secure the gears in the back, can the impact wrench be electric, if not air. I was told that the hex nut is a left handed, but I'm not sure of that either?
I'll go and get an impact wrench tomorrow, HOPEFULLY this will work. If I does, THANK YOU !!!!!!!!!!
Razinman

Do you have an air impact wrench? That would pop it off without causing any problems.
Jim,
Somebody else said to use an air impact wrench, can it be electric instead of air and will it pop off the nut if the gears in the back are not secured.
I'll give it a try.
Thanks again, Razinman

Jim,
Somebody else said to use an air impact wrench, can it be electric instead of air and will it pop off the nut if the gears in the back are not secured.
I'll give it a try.
Thanks again, Razinman

It works on circular saw blades that don't have a lock, chainsaw clutches, old electric fans lots of things. I think that an electric impact would work fine, the high end cordless ones that the mechanics use at my work have enough torque to rattle off just about any nut smaller than 1 1/8".

Jim,
I'll give it a try.
Thanks again, Razinman

Electric or the new battery wrenches should work fine.

Jim,
I'll give it a try.
Thanks again, Razinman
I'm literally going out to buy one now!

Thanks so much..............Razinman

Back