Reconditioning The Champion Forge Camel Back Drill Press

Thanks Benny, I got out and cleaned the table bracket yesterday afternoon. I'll get a picture cleaned and painted today if-n it doesn't rain.

I used a needle scaler to get most of the 3 layers of paint off and finished it with a wire brush.

Paul

Table bracket finished.

Ready for Paint.JPG Painted.JPG

Last edited:
Maybe following this post is a bad idea for me. I had planned to leave my camel back restoration for a winter project but seeing yours getting cleaned up and painted is making it difficult to not dive into mine. Are you planning to paint the lettering on the castings a different colour to make them stand out? Have you decided how your going to drive the drill? I'm pretty much settled on a 3 Phase motor and VFD for mine. I'm missing the bottom step pulley and finding a replacement is proving impossible, the 3 phase route seems to make the most sense without the bottom pulley setup. If I can find a suitable lower pulley assembly I would like to keep the drill as authentic as possible.

Shawn

Shawn
your a long way from ALabama and I have a extra lower pulley set up, But I bet the shipping to you would be high. If you can figure out away to get it there let me know the cost would be free best I can do.

I have the old motor that came with it and I do have the lower pulley setup that came with mine aslo.

Paul

Got a little farther on the drill press today first picture letting it down on the bottom to stand it up.

Picture 2 adding another strap to hold it level. 3 picture letting it down into the base. Picture 4 done with that.

Picture 5 getting ready to move to the machine shop.

Paul

Letting It Down.JPG Standing Up.JPG Going Into Base.JPG Setting In The Base.JPG Ready To Move.JPG

I got it move to the other shop cleaned it up with paint thiner and painted the top.

Paul

New Shop 1.JPG New Shop 2.JPG Done 1.JPG Done 2.JPG

Got a little more done today. Gopt to put another coat of paint on the letters.

Paint.JPG Top 2.JPG Table lift.JPG

the press looks great Paul, nice progress. What kind of condition are the upper drive bearings in? Have you sourced out new ones? This build will help me if I ever get to mine.

David

the press looks great Paul, nice progress. What kind of condition are the upper drive bearings in? Have you sourced out new ones? This build will help me if I ever get to mine.

David

David the top bearings are in good shape, It looks like they have been re-poured at some time. and the is still room for adjustment.

I'm trying to stay at this thing I want to get it up and running and move on to something else. I've got a lot of machines to get up and running.

Paul

everything is really looking nice paul
steve

Thanks Steve, I ran into problems yesterday putting the power feed together it wouldn't disengage.

Had to modified the parts to get it to work right I can see how it ever worked. That mite be why one of the drive pins was missing in the gears for the power feed.

Paul

I can't wait to see this one completed. I have only seen one other and it was on its side in the bone yard way beyond help. Beautiful work on this one.

"Billy G" :thumbsup:

Back