Rebuilding a jaw can it be done

Haven't read the whole thread so apologies if this has been mentioned: Could those be soft jaws, that were machined for a particular custom workholding job? Hardinge hard jaws are very hard, it's right there in the name! ;)

If they're soft jaws then I guess your original hard jaws were lost by the previous owner, a damn shame. They won't make very good general-use jaws even if you true them up, they won't stay that way for long.

Haven't read the whole thread so apologies if this has been mentioned: Could those be soft jaws, that were machined for a particular custom workholding job? Hardinge hard jaws are very hard, it's right there in the name! ;)

If they're soft jaws then I guess your original hard jaws were lost by the previous owner, a damn shame. They won't make very good general-use jaws even if you true them up, they won't stay that way for long.
no they were just abused thru the years and the last owner was wil not so nice on the poor ole girl . he didnt clean it or take care of it. crashed the gearbox. left side gears 2 of them are toast. thats down the road tho
they are hard for sure. i touched them up got them tons better. only about .003/5 run out.just settin the 1/2 inch bar in there 2 inchs long. so cant complain but i found a used set and ordered them at least ill have a xtra set hahha

i see that lol .... i found a used set ... on fleabay. 50 bucks. they look darn near brand new. we shall see.
A new set sold for $40 up at the fever . I follow a Epayer that has tons of Hardinge tooling listed every friggin day ! His items end every minute and its hard to keep up , but I'll put his site here . He always has jaws for that chuck .

A new set sold for $40 up at the fever . I follow a Epayer that has tons of Hardinge tooling listed every friggin day ! His items end every minute and its hard to keep up , but I'll put his site here . He always has jaws for that chuck .
the ones i ordered probley wont make it to me .. grrrrrrr fleabay had my old address and i entered the new one . it didnt save and shows hipping to old. 3 hours away grrrrrrr......... can not cancel i clicked it said to early to cancel. waited 15 to 20 mins says to late to cancel. grrrrrrrrrrrr i hate fleabay
but if that site doesnt post toss me a msg.. ill check it out. never know what i will find

dang guy says he only had 2 of the jaws. he looked and they were 3 and 2 - 2s grrrrrrrrrrrr

Here ya go . Just turn these inside out and you're good to go ! :grin:

LOL , this is the other set for that chuck .

I see you're not far from my place up in New York . I'm in Dolgeville . Rt 29 straight out of Saratoga Springs to my property .

Attachments

• IMG_0874.JPG
    IMG_0874.JPG
    337.3 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_0875.JPG
    IMG_0875.JPG
    427.9 KB · Views: 6
Last edited:
FWIW ...................I'm staring at a set on the bay right now for $10 . :encourage:

yeah thats the bid. they arint buy nows. hahaha 4 days X hours to end date on it. lol
So you now know who I follow . That set may go cheap as theyre used . He has new sets there . I don't think anyone would bid high on the used set when he has 10 sets of new jaws also . I follow him trying to get a 5" Hardinge .

Back