Rebuilding a jaw can it be done

no clue. there wasnt much left to start with. when i got the lathe. they were V shaped . bottom of the V puting to the left. was tons of space on the tool side of the jaw when holding work. when i say tons of space iam saying 20 to 25 tho of space.
so yep i figure noting to lose. i took a drumel and try to save them. but 2 of the are almost flat "no meat left" compared to the 3rd one.
so part of it is messed up when i got and part is me finishing them off lol
I hope you didn't hold the dremel in you hand. You can use a dremel if you mount it to your tool post using an adapter. But not hand held.

I wonder if they got put in incorrectly and someone tried to fix by grinding them back in. The jaws are numbered and go into an assigned position in the chuck body. They also need to get put in the correct order and started in the correct groove. What size is the chuck and what is the mount up, I might have something that will work for you

Last edited:
I hope you didn't hold the dremel in you hand. You can use a dremel if you mount it to your tool post using an adapter. But not hand held.
no i did have it in a jig . but they wasnt much better then you see now.

I wonder if they got put in incorrectly and someone tried to fix by grinding them back in. The jaws are numbered and go into an assigned position in the chuck body. They also need to get put in the correct order and started in the correct groove. What size is the chuck and what is the mount up, I might have something that will work for you
before i owned it who knows .. they were in the right way 1 in 1 2 in 2 so on . chuck body is numbered along with the jaws.
it is a 5 inch chuck. 6 tooth on the jaws. off hand iam unable to remember the bolt pathern on the backing plate. but the spindle is 1 1/2 by 8
i have a 4 jaw but no plate and its 6 1/4 inch no idea why it has the xtra 1/4 inch. ll have to take pics of them. give me a few and ill snap some .

How is the rest of the chuck? Decent Asian chucks can be had pretty reasonable.

John
over all the chuck is fine. i riped it apart and cleaned it. the scroll is not dug up nor bent. the pinons are like new. over all its a great chuck. stamped england. so iam guessing its a rebrand from uk or euro. its old ..

give me a few ill toss some pix of chuck and numbers of jaw size and such .

looks like RES PLAN ??? maker ? has 11/67 iam guessing when made. the res plan is a 5 inch. last 3 are of the 4 jaw. as you can see its 6 1/4 plate. doesnt look like it was ever used.
i dont knwo where i see england stamped. but dont see it now lol .. one of them things.

jaw pic 1.jpg

jaw pic 2.jpg
jaw pic 3.jpg
jaw pic 4.jpg
jaw pic 5 .jpg

Attachments

• jaw pic 1.jpg
    jaw pic 1.jpg
    148.4 KB · Views: 4
catruckman from fleabay thank you i took and used it hahhahha

a .1915
b .3300
c .5540
d .1285
e 1.3575
f 1.551 this is with warnout work area. so this could be lil bigger
g .1870

jaw size.jpg

no i did have it in a jig . but they wasnt much better then you see now.

before i owned it who knows .. they were in the right way 1 in 1 2 in 2 so on . chuck body is numbered along with the jaws.
it is a 5 inch chuck. 6 tooth on the jaws. off hand iam unable to remember the bolt pathern on the backing plate. but the spindle is 1 1/2 by 8
i have a 4 jaw but no plate and its 6 1/4 inch no idea why it has the xtra 1/4 inch. ll have to take pics of them. give me a few and ill snap some .

over all the chuck is fine. i riped it apart and cleaned it. the scroll is not dug up nor bent. the pinons are like new. over all its a great chuck. stamped england. so iam guessing its a rebrand from uk or euro. its old ..

give me a few ill toss some pix of chuck and numbers of jaw size and such .

looks like RES PLAN ??? maker ? has 11/67 iam guessing when made. the res plan is a 5 inch. last 3 are of the 4 jaw. as you can see its 6 1/4 plate. doesnt look like it was ever used.
i dont knwo where i see england stamped. but dont see it now lol .. one of them things.

View attachment 478576

View attachment 478572
View attachment 478573
View attachment 478574
View attachment 478575
4 jaws are generally larger than 3 jaw chucks.
They don't suffer the same jaw stick out.

If you can find a manufacturers mark on that chuck you should contact the manufacturer. That doesn't look like a Chinese chuck.

That 4 jaw would be good to go, just get a backplate. I would recommend https://cdcotools.com/ they now do sales on Amazon or ebay as well.. can't remember which.

I like their backplate, nice and thick.

For alignment on the chuck to the plate (3 jaw) see if you find registration marks (usually just punch marks that show alignment).

Looks like a 5" Buck . I just gave Chazz a set of jaws for one and have another pair down the basement . Unfortunately , they are opposite of the ones you have . OD jaws .

4 jaws are generally larger than 3 jaw chucks.
They don't suffer the same jaw stick out.

If you can find a manufacturers mark on that chuck you should contact the manufacturer. That doesn't look like a Chinese chuck.

That 4 jaw would be good to go, just get a backplate. I would recommend https://cdcotools.com/ they now do sales on Amazon or ebay as well.. can't remember which.

I like their backplate, nice and thick.

For alignment on the chuck to the plate (3 jaw) see if you find registration marks (usually just punch marks that show alignment).
3 jaw is plated on spindle. the 6incher is the odd ball plate i think.. as i only see 6inch. 6 1/4 i found but a blank and i have no way to thread it. but ill check the cdctools out ty
Looks like a 5" Buck . I just gave Chazz a set of jaws for one and have another pair down the basement . Unfortunately , they are opposite of the ones you have . OD jaws .
hahhaha never fails does it hahaha .. thats cool tho.. ill give it a few days. i sent info the catruckman on fleabay. but no return yet. found another set but there 5 tooth not 6 .

i dont know if that would matter much . i have no idea if grinding into the 1st tooth would make that big of deal as long as i line them up to close to togther. things i have no clue on yet.

Back