Rebuilding a jaw can it be done

XPFTP

Registered
Registered
will after this and that. iam finding the jaws are toast.
iam wondering can one build weld up on the clamp or working end and regrind them ?
as you can see on the right side. theres like next to nothing left for the working area of the jaw.
this is the better of the 3 .. grrrrr
ir if someone knows someone with a set they like to off.. 5 inch chuck . they are off of .
jaw.jpg

I've heard the jaws can be purchased cheaply. They'll still need grinding, probably, under tension.

I looked for 3 min in all the various places and found this. It may not be the right part for you but it shows that spare jaws can be had for a low price. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07SG8QBQP

Yes they can be ground- without needing to weld
theres nothing left to grind... if i grind them any more . it will take one of the teeth out on the back for the spiral.
the red lines show were the jaw use to be. that much is gone. there almost flat to the tooth on back.
are you saying its ok to tregrind even taking the tooth with it ?

all 3 jaws.jpg

I've heard the jaws can be purchased cheaply. They'll still need grinding, probably, under tension.

I looked for 3 min in all the various places and found this. It may not be the right part for you but it shows that spare jaws can be had for a low price. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07SG8QBQP
thanks for the link.
when i do a search . i kept gettin full chucks hahhah ... ill have to keep looking.

Sometimes I use picclick and sort by price. Amazon has some, too, but it's hard to search

why were the jaws ground that much in the first place?
grinding is a once or twice in the lifetime of the chuck thing. Not a frequent thing.

why were the jaws ground that much in the first place?
grinding is a once or twice in the lifetime of the chuck thing. Not a frequent thing.
no clue. there wasnt much left to start with. when i got the lathe. they were V shaped . bottom of the V puting to the left. was tons of space on the tool side of the jaw when holding work. when i say tons of space iam saying 20 to 25 tho of space.
so yep i figure noting to lose. i took a drumel and try to save them. but 2 of the are almost flat "no meat left" compared to the 3rd one.
so part of it is messed up when i got and part is me finishing them off lol

I cant tell from the picture but is it possible that the one is an OD jaw and the other 2 are ID jaws

I cant tell from the picture but is it possible that the one is an OD jaw and the other 2 are ID jaws
they are all ID . there is a lil bit of a angle for where the work area would of been.
not sure they sides show up. but there IDs

i have no clue if its ok to take it down the one tooth. if no issue then i could grind them and start over to refresh them i guess ??

all jaw side.jpg

Last edited:
Back