Rebuilding a jaw can it be done

3 jaw is plated on spindle. the 6incher is the odd ball plate i think.. as i only see 6inch. 6 1/4 i found but a blank and i have no way to thread it. but ill check the cdctools out ty

hahhaha never fails does it hahaha .. thats cool tho.. ill give it a few days. i sent info the catruckman on fleabay. but no return yet. found another set but there 5 tooth not 6 .

i dont know if that would matter much . i have no idea if grinding into the 1st tooth would make that big of deal as long as i line them up to close to togther. things i have no clue on yet.

I wonder if they got put in incorrectly and someone tried to fix by grinding them back in. The jaws are numbered and go into an assigned position in the chuck body. They also need to get put in the correct order and started in the correct groove. What size is the chuck and what is the mount up, I might have something that will work for you

My thoughts exactly. They were not installed in the correct order. If that is the case. These are toast now.

Cutting oil is my blood.

6 inch is a normal plate. Get one already threaded 1.5 8tpi. Don't get one with out it threaded. How would you hold it???

My thoughts exactly. They were not installed in the correct order. If that is the case. These are toast now.

Cutting oil is my blood.
they were in right way. chuck is numbered and jaws are numbered.

i just dont know if there is enough left to grind out to get them str8.

6 inch is a normal plate. Get one already threaded 1.5 8tpi. Don't get one with out it threaded. How would you hold it???
in the last pic of the post with the 4 jaw 6 inch.. the back messures 6 1/4 inchs. its right there in the pic. i would think if a chuck is 6 inch .. it is 6 inch not 6 1/4 lol .. or do they all say 6 inch but are really 6 1/4 .. i dont know . and looking at new chucks heck for 75 bucks might be the way i go. bein i have a late already for a 5 inch .

will after this and that. iam finding the jaws are toast.
iam wondering can one build weld up on the clamp or working end and regrind them ?
as you can see on the right side. theres like next to nothing left for the working area of the jaw.
this is the better of the 3 .. grrrrr
ir if someone knows someone with a set they like to off.. 5 inch chuck . they are off of .
View attachment 478549
A new 5" chuck is $59.00 and 4" is $49.00

There is a lot of work putting new jaws on chuck including grinding the jaws.

New chuck is read to go out of the box.

If you have 3 jaws you can ebay the old chuck for welders fir there jigs

Dave

Hardinge 30 AHCX S#18141 that is who made this chuck . one should clean the dirt off things hahhaha found info on the front of it ..

looks like from hardinge themselfs 243 bucks. thats not happening..
i did a lil working on them. have them tons better. down to 1/2inch stock. i know for fact the piece i use its round and str8. just seting in and tighting 3 tho run out. so good for now i guess.

if someone has a set of jaws for this chuck. let me know..

Hardinge 30 AHCX S#18141 that is who made this chuck .
I thought a Buck or Hardinge 5" . They are up there in $$$$$ . Ive been outbid on many in the past 3 weeks on the bay . $200-$350 is the norm with the taper mount for Hardinge lathes .

I thought a Buck or Hardinge . They are up there in $$$$$ . Ive been outbid on many in the past 3 weeks on the bay . $200-$350 is the norm with the taper mount for Hardinge lathes .
yes 243 from hardinge. WOW.... i get it good stuff but WOW.. iam a shadetree not a big money shop hahhaha ..
now i know what it is. life will be easyer lol .. like you ill keep eye open.
hate to not use it. its nice and smooth after i pulled it apart and cleaned it. few drops of 30w oil .

PS EDIT..... and MMCMDI .... theres your dinner ....hahaha

Last edited:
If it's engraved Hardinge , it ain't cheap . ;)

Back