Rant on Leeson Motors, Shipping

The vendor just sent me an email saying they are going to try to get the replacement motor to me by this Friday. Fingers crossed.

Call Baldor! I have no affiliation, and cant' guarantee a darn thing, but when I called them (in spite of finding nothing in their catalog) they had what I needed. It's been quite a few years, but their customer service was outstanding. You have nothing to lose but 5-15 minutes.

GsT
I appreciate the tip but I'll see if the replacement arrives unscathed before changing course.

I would find an industrial vendor like Grainger and buy in person, and if they don't have it in stock, have it shipped to their location. It will save you shipping costs, and you get to inspect it before loading it in your truck.

I would find an industrial vendor like Grainger and buy in person, and if they don't have it in stock, have it shipped to their location. It will save you shipping costs, and you get to inspect it before loading it in your truck.
I checked Grainger but the nearest outlet is over an hour away, they didn't have it in stock and they only offerer a Chinese made one for more money than the Leeson cost, delivered.
If I do get the replacement tomorrow or even early next week and it's not damaged, I will be okay, If not, I'll figure something out, I always do...

Wow...that's a really terrible packing job! I've bought several new Baldor motors the last four or five years and they use a very heavy box (like triple layer cardboard), the motor is shrink wrapped to a piece of plywood and then they have some heavy styrofoam to lock things in place. As mentioned, it's a bit of an ordeal to get the motor out...just cutting the cardboard is a pain, but that's a good thing.

I don't have anything against Leeson as they're a decent motor, but it's certainly disappointing.

Well, the replacement motor arrived today, just as promised by the vendor. And the verdict is, the inferior packing IS absolutely how Leeson ships their motors.
IMG_4702.jpeg
Same exact box as before, sent from Leeson, though from a different location.
IMG_4706.jpeg
Same Kraft Paper packing material...
IMG_4708.jpeg
Not even fully in the bag...
IMG_4711.jpeg

And as you can see, the base is bent again! However, at least this time the shaft spins freely and there was no indication it had poked through the side of the box.
I was able to knock the bend out and got the motor mounted on the machine. Monday I'll make the electrical connections and power er up.

Despite the issues with the motor I am very pleased with the service I received from the vendor, they got the replacement to me within a week, 4 days actually. I would do business with them again though I certainly won't be buying Leeson!

I wonder. Does Leeson have a huge inventory of reduced price scratch and dent motors? :rolleyes:

We use a lot of Leeson PM and wound field, 1 HP, DC motors. I don't recall having issues with poorly packaged motors. But its been many years since we've purchased replacements. Maybe this low cost packaging is a relatively new development.

I purchased 85 pounds of 1144 from eBay and it arrive wrapped in plastic, encased in expandable foam, inside a heavy duty cardboard box that was stapled, strapped and copiously covered with packing tape. So, there are some suppliers who know how to properly package items.

I try not to not to purchase fragile items from Amazon because they use little or no packaging material inside their boxes. Years ago, Amazon packaged their items properly.

Glad you finally got your motor issue resolved.

Back