Rant on Leeson Motors, Shipping

Like a brainless computer- it's job is to deliver you a box whether it's empty or not- the stickers raise absolutely no flags

@Eddyde
I'm curious to see the way the replacement motor will be packaged.

I can't imagine the packaging you received is standard procedure for a new motor.

Once upon a time, I bought a similar motor, from Amazon Warehouse and it had been similarly (poorly) packaged.
The motor escaped prior to delivery but UPS still brought me the damaged, empty box.
The funny thing was that the box was slathered with multiple caution HEAVY stickers but weighed only a couple pounds.
I'm curious too, I doubt there will be much difference but I will post pictures.

I couldn't imagine such a thing either but the package came directly from Leeson, we shall see.

I had a similar experience with a piece of steel bar stock I bought from McMaster. Box had a hole in it and no contents! Of course McMaster sent another one but I have noticed lately they have been getting a little lax in their packing...

I have always picked Baldor when I needed a motor replacement. Years ago I couldn't get any help replacing a motor (a Leeson, as it turns out). When I finally called Baldor, they bent over backwards to find the replacement I needed, then, since they don't sell direct, placed a will-call order for me at a local vendor that had stock. Since that time I've purchased three or four Baldor motors and they are always superbly packaged from the factory and the motors themselves are everything you could want (except cheap!).

GsT
I just checked the Baldor site and they don't seem to make a motor that will fit my machine. I need: 3HP, 3450-3600 RPM, 230V, Single Phase, TEFC,145T Frame (0.875 shaft @ 3.5" center height) .Baldor only makes a 182T Frame (1.125 shaft @ 4.5" center height).
So I guess I can stop the buyers remorse...

These boxes arrived today and you want to see packing!
One of our vendors sends our supplies very well packed! Nothing inside moves during shipping with all the foam and cardboard and double boxed on some items.
Pierre
CBB68309-A411-4F17-B1E6-E0A40CFE0947.jpeg

These boxes arrived today and you want to see packing!
One of our vendors sends our supplies very well packed! Nothing inside moves during shipping with all the foam and cardboard and double boxed on some items.
Pierre
View attachment 454392
That's the photo I need to sent to Leeson!

Was there a label that said it was directly shipped by Leeson ?
The box is not even close to motor size
The Box should have Leeson's name on it and I assume the label has originating destination ?
My belief , and no one here has mentioned I think, that it is from a "redistributor"
Much like a car dealer will have a stock of PU trucks and another dealer wants a PU for a customer,
so the dealer ships it to the requesting dealer or 'drop ships" it directly to his customer, so too is it done with motors.
Just my opinion , but i would first hand go to Leeson with the complaint.
I have never seen a motor come in without a plywood shipping plate , and I see your base is bent ()!)
and see no marks on the box from the bending force, which means the base was possibly bent before shipping
Rich

Doubly sad because it was a USA motor. Many Leeson are now from China. Probably in better packaging though. Dave

Was there a label that said it was directly shipped by Leeson ?
The box is not even close to motor size
The Box should have Leeson's name on it and I assume the label has originating destination ?
My belief , and no one here has mentioned I think, that it is from a "redistributor"
Much like a car dealer will have a stock of PU trucks and another dealer wants a PU for a customer,
so the dealer ships it to the requesting dealer or 'drop ships" it directly to his customer, so too is it done with motors.
Just my opinion , but i would first hand go to Leeson with the complaint.
I have never seen a motor come in without a plywood shipping plate , and I see your base is bent ()!)
and see no marks on the box from the bending force, which means the base was possibly bent before shipping
Rich
Yes, the UPS shipping label said Leeson with their return address. The box also had a factory label with the motor specs. When I spoke to the vendor they said it was drop-shipped directly from Leeson. They added, it was a common occurrence for motors shipped from Leeson to be damaged due to inferior packing and that they do a much better job when they ship from their warehouse. Indeed, the motor starter I also ordered from the same vendor arrived yesterday, very well packed with the factory box surrounded with bubble-wrap, inside a larger shipping box and that item only weighed 4 pounds...
The base could have bent form a drop even though it was lightly wrapped and might not have damaged the box noticeably. There was obvious damage where the shaft poked through and since it was seized, probably dropped hard on that end too. Maybe it took a tumble of the back of a truck, who knows, but it should have been packed to withstand that.
I will write a letter to Leeson once the matter is resolved, the vendor I purchased it form has been very helpful, so far.

I just checked the Baldor site and they don't seem to make a motor that will fit my machine. I need: 3HP, 3450-3600 RPM, 230V, Single Phase, TEFC,145T Frame (0.875 shaft @ 3.5" center height) .Baldor only makes a 182T Frame (1.125 shaft @ 4.5" center height).
So I guess I can stop the buyers remorse...
Call Baldor! I have no affiliation, and cant' guarantee a darn thing, but when I called them (in spite of finding nothing in their catalog) they had what I needed. It's been quite a few years, but their customer service was outstanding. You have nothing to lose but 5-15 minutes.

GsT

Back