Rant on Leeson Motors, Shipping

Leeson probably has good procedures in place for shipping pallets full of motors but for single units
it is most likely a guy in the corner with no instructions and no proper packing materials- just "get 'er done"

I bought a brand-new Baldor on eBay with no issues. Super heavy-duty box and good packing. It is powering my Logan lathe.
I have always picked Baldor when I needed a motor replacement. Years ago I couldn't get any help replacing a motor (a Leeson, as it turns out). When I finally called Baldor, they bent over backwards to find the replacement I needed, then, since they don't sell direct, placed a will-call order for me at a local vendor that had stock. Since that time I've purchased three or four Baldor motors and they are always superbly packaged from the factory and the motors themselves are everything you could want (except cheap!).

GsT

I had a motor drop-shipped the same way, with extra attention to the drop. bare shaft sticking out of the box, baggie with parts ended up dog knows where, mount base bent. The two Baldors I've bought since then came in crates.

Leeson is an American company, but comparing my experience with their motors to Baldor's, I'd call them a budget solution. Their ratings are on the very edge of thermal shutdown, whereas Baldor's rating is a little more like an RMS power level. I had a long running saga of troubles with my old compressor that I always blamed on that Heatin' Leeson. Their performance margins are tight, but at least they are rebuildable.

FTR, I do already own Leeson, Baldor, motors, as well as other brands. I agree, Baldor is probably a little better than Leeson but I never had either die on me. I was initially looking for a Baldor but couldn't find one meeting my needs and readily available to ship. Also, I don't use the plainer that much, I just happen to really need it now. I don't doubt the Leeson will work fine, as long as I get one that's undamaged...

Send your pictures to the CEO of Leeson. Likely their contact info is on the site or found online.
Pierre

Send your pictures to the CEO of Leeson. Likely their contact info is on the site or found online.
Pierre
I was actually planing on doing that, after I cool down, lol.

I once bought a “composite” kitchen sink from Lowes. When I got it home, I noticed that it was cracked in the corner. I brought it back, and the guy at Lowe’s said “Oh, yeah - we get a lot of those cracked in shipping.” It’s hard for me to believe that it’s less expensive to save a few bucks on packing and ruin a significant number of sinks as opposed to improving the box. Doesn’t anyone track returns?
I ship a fair amount of products, and I am always very careful to not only pad everything, but make sure that multiple items in the same box are not free to move during shipping, which often causes damage.

@Eddyde
I'm curious to see the way the replacement motor will be packaged.

I can't imagine the packaging you received is standard procedure for a new motor.

Once upon a time, I bought a similar motor, from Amazon Warehouse and it had been similarly (poorly) packaged.
The motor escaped prior to delivery but UPS still brought me the damaged, empty box.
The funny thing was that the box was slathered with multiple caution HEAVY stickers but weighed only a couple pounds.

Back