R8 & 3/4” Shank Tooling Holder

I know this is after the fact , but think about how this could have been avoided Eric . This could have ended up much worse . :(

I know this is after the fact , but think about how this could have been avoided Eric . This could have ended up much worse . :(

I hold the emery paper in such a manner as to be ready to let go if & when the spindle rotation causes the tubing to suck it in. I leave enough space between my hands & the work to allow for more than my reaction time. If you get too close, it could suck in a thumb or finger. If that thumb or finger gets lodged in (as opposed to mutilated or torn off), your arm or entire body is going in with it.

Much in the same way, I hold the file in such a manner as to be ready if the chuck jaws or work hit the file & turn the file into a missile heading in any direction. You can guess the direction that the file would go based on the spinning jaws, but Murphy’s Law could surprise you there in a microsecond.

I am always mindful that the workpiece could break free, but I had never conceived the the work would *collapse*.

We are reminded not proceed until safety is assured, or at least maximized with risk & return taken into account.

Last edited:
I am always mindful that the workpiece could break free, but I had never conceived the the work would *collapse*.
Thin walled material is easily packed with wet sand to avoid collapsing . :encourage: Glad you got out with only minor injuries .

Wow, Erik, be careful! That big 16" lathe would not be forgiving if it caught you up. The belts wouldn't slip to save you, it'd just keep turning. Can we agree no more turning tin foil tubes? If that ragged end were to slip off the live center under power, it'd be like a lawnmower blade swinging at you. Thats an entirely different hazard than getting caught in the machine. Were you still at 1000 RPM when that happened? :oops:

Relying on manly reaction time won't save you. Maybe you can see, perceive, process, respond, and react in a half second if you're focused, more if you're not. In a half second, your chuck makes 8 turns at 1000 RPM. Assuming no flesh slippage and a 12" chuck, that's 24 linear feet off inhauling potential before you even get to think to jerk your hand away.

Wow, Erik, be careful! That big 16" lathe would not be forgiving if it caught you up. The belts wouldn't slip to save you, it'd just keep turning. Can we agree no more turning tin foil tubes? If that ragged end were to slip off the live center under power, it'd be like a lawnmower blade swinging at you. Thats an entirely different hazard than getting caught in the machine. Were you still at 1000 RPM when that happened? :oops:

Relying on manly reaction time won't save you. Maybe you can see, perceive, process, respond, and react in a half second if you're focused, more if you're not. In a half second, your chuck makes 8 turns at 1000 RPM. Assuming no flesh slippage and a 12" chuck, that's 24 linear feet off inhauling potential before you even get to think to jerk your hand away.

It was at 620 RPM when it collapsed.

It was at 620 RPM when it collapsed.
Well, that's a good thing, because I did my math all wrong anyway. Now that I've had coffee and can think straight, you'd still be in trouble.

I usually remove rust on stock like that with a wire wheel. It leaves the metal on the part, more or less.

Edit: Maybe coffee makes no difference. I missed the 1/2 second part the second time through, so maybe I was right the first time. Either way, respect that hazard.

Well the best lessons are the ones you survive to learn from, right? It's always a day worth celebrating when you do something stupid (like me falling off my bike last week) and it doesn't turn out too bad. That's why they call them lessons, not obituaries :)

I finished the last leg with no issues, & now I am TIG welding the feet on to the legs.

I started off my TIG welding afternoon by running out of Argon. Fortunately, I have a spare tank. Tomorrow morning, however, I will have to start the day by somehow managing to acquire a refill even though I have no money.

This welding job will be followed by machining down the welds to flush (where the foot meets the floor of the shop) + making all of the legs the exact same length, give or take about .010”.

Maybe I will get a good enough weld to post a picture. In the meantime, here’s my setup:

image.jpg

Last edited:
Back