Pulled the Trigger on a PM 45 CNC...

Little more progress but won't get as far as I wanted...

Here it is out of the crate.

M1.JPG

Whoops, they forgot to put a plug on it... It will have to go back to China (Don't laugh, people actually call with that kind of stuff).

M2.JPG

Here's the back of the control panel. Very nice and organized back there. Inside that plastic bag at the bottom is a handheld controller (pendant) so you can operate it manually via electric controls. This is a new feature.

Now, there is one problem here... I thought the access to this panel was through a big metal flap but, it's through two half-sized doors that swing open barn-door style. Because of this, I won't have room to put this down where I wanted to so, plan B will go into effect. Sadly, I'll need to move my center island work table -and that is not going to be easy.

M3.JPG

Anyhow, first things first... Secure all the peripheral stuff (in this case, the oil pump) before hoisting it. Use bailing wire so it doesn't fall off and rip the cords apart. The 5 minutes you spend doing this will save you hours (or days getting replacement parts).

M5.JPG

The driver left the crate in a good spot where my chain hoist can get to it. The overhead door header has two, 2x14 timbers. Sitting on top of those are 2x6 joists for the ceiling rafters. I've got a 3" dia heavy wall pipe spanning 6 of those joists and from that, the chain pull is attached.
M4.JPG

This was easy... Just lift high enough to free the pallet and set it on a dolley. Watch all your cables and wires when doing this. Make sure nothing gets snagged on the way up or pinched on the way down.

M6.JPGM7.JPG

It's tucked inside the garage now. I can't do more until the center work table is re-arranged. Since this is a major ordeal, I will do spring-cleaning while I'm at it.

Ray

M1.JPG M2.JPG M3.JPG M4.JPG M5.JPG M6.JPG M7.JPG

Now you are in for it. Having to rearrange means searching for stuff later. Thanks for the pics. Nice progress.
Do you already know how to program for the CNC mill or is this going to be a learning process?

I have done nothing mine is still on the pallets. Spent all day doing errands for power. The down side of living in the sticks. It takes half a day to go and get anything.

Rick

Now you are in for it. Having to rearrange means searching for stuff later. Thanks for the pics. Nice progress.
Do you already know how to program for the CNC mill or is this going to be a learning process?

I have done nothing mine is still on the pallets. Spent all day doing errands for power. The down side of living in the sticks. It takes half a day to go and get anything.

Rick

For all practical purposes, I'm a CNC newby. That said, about 15 years ago, a good friend was a top-notch machinist who worked almost entirely in CNC. Some of my background was in very (in-depth) technical programming and when my friend ran into a problem writing G-code, he would consult with me. -Not that I was a genius in G-code but, I had a very, very rigorous background in technical programming. I would usually see and solve his issues in a couple hours... That said, I'm pretty comfortable around CAD as well as manual machines... and as an exercise, I've been programming CAM parts and simulating them for about 6 months now.

BTW: I have a friend who is eagerly awaiting me to get this setup. He intends to shift his $12,000/year parts orders to me. He makes very specialized parts that I'm not at liberty to speak about... And this is partly why I setup my company in the last few weeks.

As for rearranging... I was planning to add an addition to my garage but, the zoning rules will only allow me to move the wall 3 feet -which is not worth the hassle. I was planning however to do a big rearrangement later in the spring just before warm weather. It's a big hunk of work with making better shelves and relocating my main worktable. I'm also going to move out some family items out of the garage and into our back family room which I added a couple years ago. It will help a lot but, I didn't think I'd have to address this right now...

Ray

OK, as promised, it will be on the base by Wednesday.

Things took longer than hoped and I got a very late start. A friend was lending me his lift but when I got there, the hydraulics weren't working -so that wasted the morning. I went to PepBoys and got this 2 ton unit and while there struck-up a conversation with the guy at the check-out counter. Turns out he need a couple small things welded and I said no problem. He gave me the employee discount on the lift and I got that unit out the door for 149 bucks (normally $200). -Can't beat that with a stick!

Anyhow... It took longer to get the lift assembled (45 minutes) than it did to put the mill on top (15 minutes).

I'll position it later tonight yet but right now, the dog is threatening to pick-up the phone and call anti-cruelty because we missed our long walk today... I knew I shouldn't have taught her to dial the phone...

Ray
L1.JPGL2.JPGL3.JPG

L1.JPG L2.JPG L3.JPG

OK, as promised, it will be on the base by Wednesday.

Things took longer than hoped and I got a very late start. A friend was lending me his lift but when I got there, the hydraulics weren't working -so that wasted the morning. I went to PepBoys and got this 2 ton unit and while there struck-up a conversation with the guy at the check-out counter. Turns out he need a couple small things welded and I said no problem. He gave me the employee discount on the lift and I got that unit out the door for 149 bucks (normally $200). -Can't beat that with a stick!

Anyhow... It took longer to get the lift assembled (45 minutes) than it did to put the mill on top (15 minutes).

I'll position it later tonight yet but right now, the dog is threatening to pick-up the phone and call anti-cruelty because we missed our long walk today... I knew I shouldn't have taught her to dial the phone...

Ray

Looking good Ray. How long before you make scrap outta perfectly good metal? :))

Looking good Ray. How long before you make scrap outta perfectly good metal? :))

With any luck, tomorrow. I'm taking tomorrow off from the business startup and spending the day on the new mill. I need a break and this should be fun.

Ray

With any luck, tomorrow. I'm taking tomorrow off from the business startup and spending the day on the new mill. I need a break and this should be fun.
Ray

Of coarse and you know: :thisthreadisworthlesswithoutpictures:

(where's that smiley?):whistle:

Here we go... Shop is returning to normal now and the new mill is in place. Just a little clutter to clean-up.

I powered-up the mill and connected the computer. It recognized the controller card and I was able to install the drivers. It should be ready to go but, I'm new to Mach 3 and need to review a bunch more stuff before making any attempt to make it do something. By tonight, I'll be happy if I can make the X, Y and Z axis move.

Along the way, I was taking pictures of the he setup process as I intend to make a user manual as I go along.

M8.JPGM9.JPGM10.JPGM11.JPG

Ray

M8.JPG M9.JPG M10.JPG M11.JPG

You have a pedestal grinder next to it?

I put mine in a separate room, I don't need grinding grit floating in the air next to my mill. You should see the cloud when I dress the wheel.

You have a pedestal grinder next to it?

I put mine in a separate room, I don't need grinding grit floating in the air next to my mill. You should see the cloud when I dress the wheel.

As mentioned, there is still a little clutter to clean up... The mill is now sitting where the grinder used to be and it's temporarily moved a few feet out of the way...

Back