Pulled the Trigger on a PM 45 CNC...

Hey Ray! It looks good. Is that monitor just sitting on there or is it fastened down somehow?

Hey Ray! It looks good. Is that monitor just sitting on there or is it fastened down somehow?

Screwed down with a pivot screw at the back of the base. That way I can still swing it around a little. All the wires are tucked away nicely but I need to find some of those glue-on wire ties and stick e'm on the side of the box.

Ray

I'm pretty sure Home Depot has the sticky buttons that you can run a zip-tie through., I've seen them there, if I'm not mistaken, in the electrical dept, around where they have the solderless connectors .

Well, I won't be able to afford those glue-on wire loom tabs... I pulled the trigger on a 4 axis CAM program today.

After a lot of analysis, trying the demos (without actually cutting parts) and driving the support people crazy at 4-5 different CAM vendors, I went with BobCAM. Lot's of reasons and rationale behind the decision but, it seemed right for me and my needs; the user interface and setup wizards seemed reasonable. Only time will tell. ... It seems like a good starting package and am keeping my fingers crossed it was the right selection long term

BTW, if you go on their web site and look at the prices, don't freak-out. If you call and talk to a salesman the prices are considerably lower and there's a lot of room for negotiating.

Ray

I finally got around to looking more closely at the 4th axis. It's working fine but in all probability, it will be a long while before I'm ready to use it. It took about 2 minutes to get working with Mach 3.

It's 6" rotary table with a 5" chuck. There's tailstock with it but, I didn't feel like degreasing it today.

Here's a little eye-candy...

RotaryTable.JPG

Ray

RotaryTable.JPG

Looks nice!

Is that 4th axis just a stepper? How well will it work with no indexing/encoder/feedback to the controller for ensuring position?? Seems like a hope that it wont miss a step. Are you just planning to zero it out on mach just like you do with your other 3 stepper axis?

I own a DIY cnc spindled 52X62X8 router with mach and now a servo/encoded 10X50 Millport kneemill with centroid. On the router, for wood, plastic, and light alum, the stepper setups are fine but I have not pulled the trigger on the cheaper chinese 4th axis for it. I have my controller ready for it though and have even thought of just adding a full 4th axis lathe. For the mill I keep looking at the servo driven 4th axis and even used they are $3-4K plus another $2K in a 4th axis and servo/encoder for it.

Ill be curious how you like that stepper 4th axis setup for a mill.

As a coincidence, friend bought Bob CAD today too. He got student license prices as he is just a hobby guy - he runs a DIY G0704 CNC'd out.

I am learning inventor, solidworks and the HSM cams for both as well as conversational on the centroid. I have vectric vcarvepro and aspire i run on the router. I hear ya on all the software out there!!!

Looks nice!

Is that 4th axis just a stepper? How well will it work with no indexing/encoder/feedback to the controller for ensuring position?? Seems like a hope that it wont miss a step. Are you just planning to zero it out on mach just like you do with your other 3 stepper axis?

I own a DIY cnc spindled 52X62X8 router with mach and now a servo/encoded 10X50 Millport kneemill with centroid. On the router, for wood, plastic, and light alum, the stepper setups are fine but I have not pulled the trigger on the cheaper chinese 4th axis for it. I have my controller ready for it though and have even thought of just adding a full 4th axis lathe. For the mill I keep looking at the servo driven 4th axis and even used they are $3-4K plus another $2K in a 4th axis and servo/encoder for it.

Ill be curious how you like that stepper 4th axis setup for a mill.

As a coincidence, friend bought Bob CAD today too. He got student license prices as he is just a hobby guy - he runs a DIY G0704 CNC'd out.

I am learning inventor, solidworks and the HSM cams for both as well as conversational on the centroid. I have vectric vcarvepro and aspire i run on the router. I hear ya on all the software out there!!!

... Well, I'm curious how much I'll like it too; actually, I'm more curious about WHEN I'll be in position to use it. I'll certainly let everyone know when I get that far. When the time comes, I don't plan to do sophisticated things nor do I have long term plans for sophisticated operations on this machine. Matter of fact, I only got the 4th axis option on this machine because I've had several parts that needed a 1:2 (1 turn in 2") oil groove on a shaft -and that's the only use I foresee.

It's going to take a few more days before I'm cutting metal on this setup. The BobCAD/CAM will take a few days to get here as, the actual package is mailed, not downloaded. I have no intentions of downloading a temporary freeware CAM program just to cut a test part... I'm not in a great hurry (and I'm too busy doing other things).

Anyhow, I know someone who is cutting some turner's cubes on this same setup -so it can't be all that bad.

As for stability of the motor and losing steps... A rotary table is a 40:1 ratio -and the reverse torque is insanely small. I'll also couple that with a profile that slows down the acceleration rates to try to minimize skipped beats.

We shall see (some day)...

Anyhow, the CNC bug has bit me pretty hard -just wish I had more time to devote to it.

Ray

... Well, I'm curious how much I'll like it too; actually, I'm more curious about WHEN I'll be in position to use it. I'll certainly let everyone know when I get that far. When the time comes, I don't plan to do sophisticated things nor do I have long term plans for sophisticated operations on this machine. Matter of fact, I only got the 4th axis option on this machine because I've had several parts that needed a 1:2 (1 turn in 2") oil groove on a shaft -and that's the only use I foresee.

It's going to take a few more days before I'm cutting metal on this setup. The BobCAD/CAM will take a few days to get here as, the actual package is mailed, not downloaded. I have no intentions of downloading a temporary freeware CAM program just to cut a test part... I'm not in a great hurry (and I'm too busy doing other things).

Anyhow, I know someone who is cutting some turner's cubes on this same setup -so it can't be all that bad.

As for stability of the motor and losing steps... A rotary table is a 40:1 ratio -and the reverse torque is insanely small. I'll also couple that with a profile that slows down the acceleration rates to try to minimize skipped beats.

We shall see (some day)...

Anyhow, the CNC bug has bit me pretty hard -just wish I had more time to devote to it.

Ray

Ray, this is awesome. The stepper for the 4th axis sure does stick out far from the mounting. Do you think you could mount on the right side of the table or would the stepper interfere with the column? I have had two thoughts on were I might use a 4th axis. The first is for a LEGO part that I am making. I currently machine the bottom and then manually rotate the part in the vise so I can then machine the top. It would be must faster to use the 4th axis to do that rotation for me. How big is the through hole in the chuck?

A quick update...

So far, my machine is functioning fine and everyone I know of has got their machine up & running. I'm still in the process of writing the basic setup manual for the actual machine. I should be done in a couple days.

My focus has shifted to the BobCad-CAM software. So far, I'm impressed. The step-by-step videos match the manuals very well and the manuals provide slightly more detailed information. The help system has been very accurate and each page and it's corresponding description of the parameters is very detailed. Of course, these resources cannot tell you how to do the right thing at the right time but, at least the fundamental information is all there and easy to get to.

Something I find very cool... You can model the spindle and your tool holders with a very simple modeling tool; it took me 5 minutes to figure-out w/o reading the manual. The cool thing is that it takes all those modeling parameters and does "collision detection" and it shows you what your setup actually looks like in the simulation. If you have the pro-version, you can load STL files of your entire mill and it shows your whole mill running and does collision detection when you generate the tool path.

Unfortunately, this program is just a small piece of what's going on in my life -and it's going to take a couple more days before I'm in a position to make chips.

Anyhow, so far, I'm feeling pretty good about this software. It was pretty expensive and we all know, once you buy it, it's yours forever.

Ray

Seriously guys, I'm asking that you wish me a little luck here... I'm about to cut my first part with the mill using BobCAD/CAM to make the G-code. Two big steps at one time...

Full report later tonight...

Ray

Back