(PROBLEM SOLVED) PM940 CNC VFD spindle question

Hi Rod,

Here is the scan of my PM940 CNC manual(attached). pdf pages 15 and 16 show the KA1-2 connections. page 15 are the terminals on the n-Motion controller while 16 shows(in a cryptic sort of way TADA Inverter?) the connections to the VFD. Note the wire numbers are 097 and 099 both at the relays and at the VFD. Note on the manual page 16 it shows these numbers as well as the MI1 and MI2, which is the Delta control input notation. It also shows that the wires are RED via the line through the wires on page 16. MI1 is FW(forward) and MI2 is RV(reverse) directions inputs. The other relays, switches etc are labeled in other drawings. Note the titles in the boxes at the top on page 13 & 14 fall to the circuits immediately below. So for example, see "Fan" shows Motor M4 and a power relay KM1 that also powers motor M3 which I think is the way oilier pump while M2 is the cutting oil pump. ETC.

The VFD maybe set up with the Default programing codes. If so you could reset the VFD from the KeyPad. However, if the manufacturer reprogramed it then going to the Default setup could create some real time consuming problems for you.

Looks like after my email that a number of other folks have chimed in. Between us all surely we can figure this out.

The pictures you posted so a little different layout of the controls than my machine. In mine the n-motion controller box is immediately below the VFD. The VFD is located more or less on the upper right side of the box.

Dave.

Hi Dave,
I can't thank you enough for chiming in with your suggestions. Yes, my cnc is still inop as I could not figure out why it would not fire up. It's not like it was running and then suddenly stopped. I casually use my cnc about once a month. This time it would not fire up at all. So I was thinking it was a breaker or relay issue. I reset all the breakers but didn't do much with the relays because I didn't know what relays were what. Yes, I could use just the scans of the electronics is you have them.

I'm going to play around with some of the setting you mentioned. So, thank you very much for your help.

Rod

Attachments

• PM 940M CNC Owers Manual scanned J225.pdf
    1.4 MB · Views: 120
Here are some actual pics i took. Let me know what more I can add.

Also,I would like to eliminate any Mach3 issues. I normally turn on the spindle via the Mach3 control panel by first setting the speed and increments. What is the gcode to start and stop the spindle?
Silly me, the gcodes were easy to find and I tested m4 and m5. No spindle motion...... So the issue is that there is no power to the VFD at all.

Hi Rod,

Here is the scan of my PM940 CNC manual(attached). pdf pages 15 and 16 show the KA1-2 connections. page 15 are the terminals on the n-Motion controller while 16 shows(in a cryptic sort of way TADA Inverter?) the connections to the VFD. Note the wire numbers are 097 and 099 both at the relays and at the VFD. Note on the manual page 16 it shows these numbers as well as the MI1 and MI2, which is the Delta control input notation. It also shows that the wires are RED via the line through the wires on page 16. MI1 is FW(forward) and MI2 is RV(reverse) directions inputs. The other relays, switches etc are labeled in other drawings. Note the titles in the boxes at the top on page 13 & 14 fall to the circuits immediately below. So for example, see "Fan" shows Motor M4 and a power relay KM1 that also powers motor M3 which I think is the way oilier pump while M2 is the cutting oil pump. ETC.

The VFD maybe set up with the Default programing codes. If so you could reset the VFD from the KeyPad. However, if the manufacturer reprogramed it then going to the Default setup could create some real time consuming problems for you.

Looks like after my email that a number of other folks have chimed in. Between us all surely we can figure this out.

The pictures you posted so a little different layout of the controls than my machine. In mine the n-motion controller box is immediately below the VFD. The VFD is located more or less on the upper right side of the box.

Dave.
Dave,
Yes, my controller is mounted on the far left side and the vfd on the top right.
Rod

Hi Rod,

Dave.

In your photo 10.jpg , the l MI1 and MI2 are the red wires on the bottom left hand side of the VFD control connections. Wire labeled 097 etc.

Use the Volt ohm meter to measure the voltage at the inputs on the right hand side. These should be the rpm speed control and one of them should vary between 0-10 volts. One of them should always put out 10 volts and is the internal 10 volt supply on the VFD, the other will be near zero or zero. one can connect a pot (variable resistor) between these and control the speed with it when the N-motion is not connected.

Dave L.

Dave.I will test the DC voltage with my meter. What contact points on the right hand side of the bus bar am I testing in my photo 10.jpg?

Hi Rod, I just saw you Gcode comment. You can check the spindle speed with the Mach3 spindle control buttons on the front pages. Just type the speed in and hit return on the page under the image of the pendant, then click on the button for spindle.

Also, as far as power to the VFD when you turn on the power switch the VFD should light up and display some codes and on mine is shows the spindle is getting a forward command. Since, the Mach-3 is not sending out a signal for a speed the motor does not run. Also, in your picture of the control wires, 10.jpg the red wire 111 is the common line returning to the relays KA1-2. While the 081 (small yellow wire) goes to the n-motion terminal called PWM (pulse width modulation --- modulation of the duty cycle of the incoming voltage to set the motor frequency, rpm, speed) and the small red wire (079) goes to the n-motion E-GND. That looks like all of the control lines! The big gauge wires with screw terminals are either your input power or the wires to the spindle motor.

Small wires, yellow and red. I think the yellow (PWM) is controlling the voltage and as I said above the red one is going to the n-motion EGND. Look at the samed numbered wires at the n-motion. My n-motion box has labels at the screw terminals.

Hi Rod, I just saw you Gcode comment. You can check the spindle speed with the Mach3 spindle control buttons on the front pages. Just type the speed in and hit return on the page under the image of the pendant, then click on the button for spindle.

Also, as far as power to the VFD when you turn on the power switch the VFD should light up and display some codes and on mine is shows the spindle is getting a forward command. Since, the Mach-3 is not sending out a signal for a speed the motor does not run. Also, in your picture of the control wires, 10.jpg the red wire 111 is the common line returning to the relays KA1-2. While the 081 (small yellow wire) goes to the n-motion terminal called PWM (pulse width modulation --- modulation of the duty cycle of the incoming voltage to set the motor frequency, rpm, speed) and the small red wire (079) goes to the n-motion E-GND. That looks like all of the control lines! The big gauge wires with screw terminals are either your input power or the wires to the spindle motor.
Hi B2, Yes I tested the Mach3 spindle controls and still no motion. When I turn on the cnc from the switch, nothing lights up on the VFD control window.

Rod, See page 2-3 of the Delta manual for a global drawing of the VFD connections......which you can down load at:

I would send it to you , but is is 12MB!

Because I'm old, I better ask. Should I be testing the voltage with the power on or off for a correct reading?

Back