Price check in aisle 3, forklift rental?

What's the diameter of the cart tires?

I'd suggest making sure the lathe is well secured down to the pallet. Bolted down or well strapped. The base of most benchtop lathes are pretty narrow, so it'll tip easily. Once the lathe/pallet is on the cart, strap or clamp it to the cart to keep it from becoming a challenge of moving parts. And consider putting some bricks/blocks under the center of the 2x10's bridging the gap to the porch. Even if they don't break, any sag will just make pulling the pallet across more difficult. Put a lip on the bottom of the 2x10's on the porch side so they can't slide onto the porch with pallet.

Also, consider how you're going to secure the pallet in the car. You don't want it shifting forward on you if you have to brake hard. You may be able to just run a couple ratchet straps out under the hatchback and around the bumper or something.

If you are going to lower the lathe down stairs, I'd consider getting some 4x4 scraps about 2 feet long each and bolting the lathe to those scraps, so the 4x4's are perpendicular to the bed. Then those 4x4's can ride on whatever you use as skids going down the steps.

What's the diameter of the cart tires?
They are 5" maybe 6" diameter, have to go measure them. In anycase, they are much larger diameter than the furniture dollies I've used in the past. Not saying this will be easy, but now it's possible.
I'd suggest making sure the lathe is well secured down to the pallet. Bolted down or well strapped. The base of most benchtop lathes are pretty narrow, so it'll tip easily. Once the lathe/pallet is on the cart, strap or clamp it to the cart to keep it from becoming a challenge of moving parts. And consider putting some bricks/blocks under the center of the 2x10's bridging the gap to the porch. Even if they don't break, any sag will just make pulling the pallet across more difficult. Put a lip on the bottom of the 2x10's on the porch side so they can't slide onto the porch with pallet.

Also, consider how you're going to secure the pallet in the car. You don't want it shifting forward on you if you have to break hard. You may be able to just run a couple ratchet straps out under the hatchback and around the bumper or something.

Yes, I am going to have to bolt down the lathe to the pallet. That's the safest thing to do. Might even use straps as well. Lathes are top heavy. I will bring a drill, some nuts and bolts and some fender washers. Good idea on putting some blocks on the steps.

I have been thinking about pallet shift in the car. The idea of everything coming forward scares me. Have to check the vehicle if there is something on the frame I can attach to. (Without the strap getting cut due to a sharp edge when I need it the most!) Wrap the strap around rear of pallet, out the hatch, around the bumper and onto the frame.

Wrap the strap around rear of pallet, out the hatch, around the bumper and onto the frame.
Strap directly to the lathe rather than the pallet would be my inclination.

8 foot 2X10s will work wonders for many projects. As you move on one pair, place the others in front. And keep repeating. And kudos for thinking beyond getting it on the porch. Back guying is the key to handling the stairs. Tie off the top and pay it out to lower. Keeping yourself above the load. With the roller table at the bottom to load itself. I use chains because I have so many. But for less than 1000 pounds, a good rope works just as well, maybe better. (old sailor perspective) And the best part is (almost) no cost. Necessity is indeed the mother. . .

Was thinking of using a comealong to lower it. I do have some 3/8" chain, but no good way to control the descent of the chain (or ascent for that matter). Now I need to take a good look at my comealong to check that it will work that way!

Not keen on ropes. Had a 5/8" rope break on me. The spring back and whipping was astounding. After that I used chain.

Strap directly to the lathe rather than the pallet would be my inclination.
Good idea. Might do both. Hate to have a pallet hit me in the back or head!

Lathes come apart fairly easily. I moved a vintage 11x24 lathe into my basement, total weight (including stand) was 950lbs. I separated the lathe from the stand, removed the chuck, the tailstock, and carriage. For the move I had several smaller loads with the heaviest being the headstock / bed I estimate at 300-350lbs which is probably more than yours weighs complete. I used an engine hoist to lift the heavier stuff and a pneumatic tired garden cart to move everything. Luckily I only have to deal with one step going into the basement but it is a small door with limited access over a rough walkway. The move was done with just the help of my teenage son who I am pretty sure thought we were going to die.

The carriage and tailstock add up to a good chunk of weight. I bet removing them from your lathe will get the main load into the 200-250lb range which can be fairly easily managed by two average size adults.

Lathes come apart fairly easily. I moved a vintage 11x24 lathe into my basement, total weight (including stand) was 950lbs. I separated the lathe from the stand, removed the chuck, the tailstock, and carriage. For the move I had several smaller loads with the heaviest being the headstock / bed I estimate at 300-350lbs which is probably more than yours weighs complete. I used an engine hoist to lift the heavier stuff and a pneumatic tired garden cart to move everything. Luckily I only have to deal with one step going into the basement but it is a small door with limited access over a rough walkway.

The carriage and tailstock add up to a good chunk of weight. I bet removing them from your lathe will get the main load into the 200-250lb range which can be fairly easily managed by two average size adults.
Thanks for the reminder. Lathes definitely come apart. I don't mind pulling parts off, although I'd prefer not to remove the headstock. The complete lathe weighs 330 lbs, (so it says under product dimensions) so it isn't a heavyweight by any means. I do know that the lathe weighs more than twice as much as I do, so I need to proceed with caution.

I do have an engine hoist, a hydraulic cart and come along. The fun part will be maneuvering at the bottom of the basement stairwell. It's a tight space there. The stairwell is not built to today's code, but apparently it was perfectly acceptable in 1851. The rise is taller than the run, it is narrow, and the landing isn't very wide. So paring down the weight ahead of time will help a lot. We (or I) will have to turn the corner at the landing while the other person is three or four steps up. Just going to have to do it somehow. Removing as much weight as possible, seems like the best way to have a happy conclusion.

Thanks for the reminder. Lathes definitely come apart. I don't mind pulling parts off, although I'd prefer not to remove the headstock. The complete lathe weighs 330 lbs, (so it says under product dimensions) so it isn't a heavyweight by any means. I do know that the lathe weighs more than twice as much as I do, so I need to proceed with caution.

I do have an engine hoist, a hydraulic cart and come along. The fun part will be maneuvering at the bottom of the basement stairwell. It's a tight space there. The stairwell is not built to today's code, but apparently it was perfectly acceptable in 1851. The rise is taller than the run, it is narrow, and the landing isn't very wide. So paring down the weight ahead of time will help a lot. We (or I) will have to turn the corner at the landing while the other person is three or four steps up. Just going to have to do it somehow. Removing as much weight as possible, seems like the best way to have a happy conclusion.

I wouldn't remove the headstock, but it wouldn't surprise me if the tail stock and carriage account for close to 100lbs. Tail stock is easy, should slide right off the end. The carriage requires you to unbolt the end of the lead screw but you can then just run it right off the end of the lead screw and slide it off the bed. You will need to support / secure the lead screw so it isn't damaged. The chuck is probably another 15-20lbs, and depending on how easy it is to remove the motor, that could probably take off another 20-ish pounds.

They are little bites but they add up to reduce the load to something much more manageable.

Moving that lathe was my first experience doing something like that. This Mr Pete video was super helpful both in building confidence as well as not breaking anything.

I wonder what a mover would charge ? It’s probably lighter then a piano.

Back