Price check in aisle 3, forklift rental?

WobblyHand

H-M Supporter - Diamond Member
H-M Lifetime Diamond Member
Has anyone rented a forklift recently? I think I could use one, but I only need it for an hour or two. What does a lower end powered forklift rent for? I'm presuming the rental won't be that much as compared to the transportation costs. I need to move 600 lbs loaded on a standard 40"x48" pallet. Have to unload a vehicle, drive it down a paved walkway and deposit the pallet on a porch that is 3 steps up. (And more than 3 steps over :) )

Or is there an easier way to do this? I have no idea what a forklift rental costs. Didn't get to call anyone today. Online they want to know your email for an alleged quote. Shoot, I'm just trying to explore options. If it is $1K, I'm not doing it. At $100 or so, it gets a lot more interesting, since it would save me a lot of sweat and tears.

I have rented them. The local Herc outfit delivers to my home.
I used it when Bob Korves and another friend helped me with my big mill and 15" lathe. The other time was for my B&S surface grinder.
If you get it on a Friday, you have it all weekend for the same one day rental. At least where I live.
I had a 5,000 capacity forklift and it was $50 delivery and $175 a day.
Well worth the money as it made the job a cake walk.

Similar pricing that I paid in San DIego county, $250/day included delivery and pickup. If you get it on a Friday morning they will often not pick it up until Monday afternoon. In Tucson, when I checked 3 years ago something like $125-150 per day but the delivery and pickup was high, I was looking at closer to $500. Prices vary significantly and also depends on location from rental yard.

I have rented them. The local Herc outfit delivers to my home.
I used it when Bob Korves and another friend helped me with my big mill and 15" lathe. The other time was for my B&S surface grinder.
If you get it on a Friday, you have it all weekend for the same one day rental. At least where I live.
I had a 5,000 capacity forklift and it was $50 delivery and $175 a day.
Well worth the money as it made the job a cake walk.
That doesn't sound too bad. Was it $50 to deliver it and $50 to go back? Or $50 took care of all the transportation?
All I need is a small one, guessing that's the 5000 lb one.

Yeah, I'm looking for the cakewalk experience myself. I've done it the hard way in the past, and just can't do that sort of thing anymore.

One more question, how wide are these forklifts?

Similar pricing that I paid in San DIego county, $250/day included delivery and pickup. If you get it on a Friday morning they will often not pick it up until Monday afternoon. In Tucson, when I checked 3 years ago something like $125-150 per day but the delivery and pickup was high, I was looking at closer to $500. Prices vary significantly and also depends on location from rental yard.
Thanks for the data point. Perhaps I'm looking online in the wrong places, but it seems really hard to get local pricing information. It's easier to get auto rental prices than forklift rental prices online. I need to call around, just to get a sense of the local market.

There are smaller forklifts out there, but 5000lbs is a standard warehouse forklift, and probably the smallest you will find to rent. My local place charges $237 / day for a 5,000lb forklift, not sure if that includes delivery / pickup charge but guessing it does. I've never rented a forklift from them, but I've rented other equipment and they are pretty good about renting at advertised prices without tacking on a bunch of fees.

There was a guy I bought a lathe from who had an awesome little forklift probably around 2000lbs capacity and about 1/2 the size of what you see at Costco or similar. Cute little thing would be the perfect little around the house forklift. :D

Not the same one but about the same size. I sure am glad this one is all the way across the country to reduce temptation.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/334047850989?hash=item4dc6cdb1ed:g:Ak4AAOSwm1Vgz9xm

Think price can vary a lot before I bought my lift it would cost us almost $800 exactly to rent a bigger lift. About 500 per day and 125 for pickup and another 125 for drop off.

If it was only $300 I’d still be renting most likely

For reference I bought an off-road 5k lift for about 2500

The rental we would get was a 15k lift and about 10 or 11 rentals would pay for a machine that was nicer than the one we got from them.

I believe all Sunbelt wants on their web page is your zip code to get costs, but the web page lists ALL of their catalog of equipment, so you have to call the local store to get actual availability. And the web price doesn't include insurance, delivery, or tax ...

another consideration is the use of what we called "Walkie Stackers"
1632874545528.png
Sunbelt rentals has them in NH

another consideration is the use of what we called "Walkie Stackers"
View attachment 380155
Sunbelt rentals has them in NH
That's interesting. The walkie stacker legs underneath would prevent me from getting close to the porch, especially since there's 2 12" wide granite steps in the way. Have to admit, they'd be great for shelving. Website is showing $260/day for a walkie stacker and $350/day for a 3K load dual fuel forklift. I haven't even gotten to all the add ons, like delivery, insurance. According to Sunbelt, my closest 'dealer' is over 50 miles away. It is a price point. And it's a start, so it is encouraging. Hope to find something less expensive.

Back