Power Hacksaw

Too bad about the missing parts on the Keller. Looks like a perfectly sized hobby machine.

Seems your other thread re: the Dvorak got taken down. Not sure if you saw one of my replies before it got removed, but I plan on keeping an eye on that lot. I might end up making a few mouse clicks if the price is right. Nice to know it's coming from a good home.

I'd have to move it into my shop under cover of night so my wife doesn't start asking questions.

Power hacksaws certainly are the coolest machines after massive metal shapers to me. But there's a reason I drive an 08 sedan instead of a 50's sedan, and it ain't the looks! I use a 40's lathe of the most universally badmouthed American made brand to make up for it though. Ha!

Thanks for thinking of me.
The Keller is mine. I bought it about 6 weeks ago at another auction.
It is well worn and the mechanism that raises the blade on the return stroke is missing parts.
I used it a bit. Made several cuts on some 1/2x3" HR. I would enjoy making some repairs but didn't want to make missing parts. So I brought it to Premier along with my shaper.
The Marvel is Very old and Very worn and I want one with a chip/drip pan to keep from soiling the floor. Could make something I know but...
And the Peerless I would love to have - if it was half the size it is. Just hate to devote that much real estate to a saw. It is a relatively modern machine. I also suspect it will go for a couple/few $K which is more than I can afford.

It's too bad that saw turned out to be so used up. I think I picked up the same model saw about 2 weeks ago off of Craigslist, the ad had been sitting for more than a month when I finally gave in. Not sure what the 12AS refers to but, I don't think it is a model number. Mine has the same number in the casting, but I found some documentation at Vintage machinery and believe the model number is 3C, 6-3/4" x 6-3/4" and can use 12" or 14" blades.

Interesting that yours has a weight added to the overarm. Mine doesn't have that and it isn't shown in the brochure photos for any of the saws.

Seems a nice size for a shop saw. From the little I've been able to find, these seem to have been in production during the 1950s and 60s, possibly into the 1970s.

Keller 3C power hacksaw.jpg

I hope you are able to find something nice, they do turn up and usually are not that expensive. If you are searching Craigslist make sure you search for both hacksaw and hack saw, I've seen many under one but not the other. Same is true for band saw vs bandsaw.

There has been a very nice looking Perkins near me in California for at least 6 months but I think the $400 asking price is way too high for what seems to be a rather small capacity saw. They use the infamous "collectors saw" in the ad so I'm guessing they know what they have and won't have any truck with low ballers.

1626400648041.png

https://sfbay.craigslist.org/nby/for/d/petaluma-perkins-power-hack-saw/7339847190.html?lang=en&cc=gb

I was looking through old Sears power tools catalogs and it looks like Sears added a 3x6" horizontal bandsaw in 1960. I also have a Kalamazoo horizontal bandsaw which as best as I can figure was made in the late 1960s so vintage and horizontal bandsaw are not mutually exclusive.

610KB3.jpg

My saw collection is becoming as silly as my small lathe collection, but the saws are at least more practical.

Last edited:
Power hacksaws certainly are the coolest machines after massive metal shapers to me. But there's a reason I drive an 08 sedan instead of a 50's sedan, and it ain't the looks! I use a 40's lathe of the most universally badmouthed American made brand to make up for it though. Ha!

It's too bad that saw turned out to be so used up. I think I picked up the same model saw about 2 weeks ago off of Craigslist, the ad had been sitting for more than a month when I finally gave in. Not sure what the 12AS refers to but, I don't think it is a model number. Mine has the same number in the casting, but I found some documentation at Vintage machinery and believe the model number is 3C, 6-3/4" x 6-3/4" and can use 12" or 14" blades.

Interesting that yours has a weight added to the overarm. Mine doesn't have that and it isn't shown in the brochure photos for any of the saws.

Seems a nice size for a shop saw. From the little I've been able to find, these seem to have been in production during the 1950s and 60s, possibly into the 1970s.

View attachment 372274

I hope you are able to find something nice, they do turn up and usually are not that expensive. If you are searching Craigslist make sure you search for both hacksaw and hack saw, I've seen many under one but not the other. Same is true for band saw vs bandsaw.

There has been a very nice looking Perkins near me in California for at least 6 months but I think the $400 asking price is way too high for what seems to be a rather small capacity saw. They use the infamous "collectors saw" in the ad so clearly "they know what they have" and won't have any truck with low ballers.

View attachment 372271

https://sfbay.craigslist.org/nby/for/d/petaluma-perkins-power-hack-saw/7339847190.html?lang=en&cc=gb

I was looking through old Sears power tools catalogs and it looks like Sears added a 3x6" horizontal bandsaw in 1960. I also have a Kalamazoo horizontal bandsaw which as best as I can figure was made in the late 1960s so vintage and horizontal bandsaw are not mutually exclusive.

View attachment 372282

My saw collection is becoming as silly as my small lathe collection, but the saws are at least more practical.
It's not the most efficient cutting tool in the shop, but definitely the coolest! Like watching a campfire.

Too bad about the missing parts on the Keller. Looks like a perfectly sized hobby machine.

Seems your other thread re: the Dvorak got taken down. Not sure if you saw one of my replies before it got removed, but I plan on keeping an eye on that lot. I might end up making a few mouse clicks if the price is right. Nice to know it's coming from a good home.

I'd have to move it into my shop under cover of night so my wife doesn't start asking questions.
I saw your post and replied to you before it went poof. Don't want to be considered dishonest so will post what I wrote there again.

Full disclosure:
There is some damage to the power feed on the Dvorak. It works as is but will skip at one spot on the ratchet and you can see it blew out the area on the drive. Photo. They don't get into all the ins and outs of each item they sell. Just take a few photos and list it. It would be a pretty easy repair and the shaper could fix itself. I could/would braze it for you myself.
Charge you a 6 pack of my favorite ale.

Attachments

• 20210214_133629.jpg
    20210214_133629.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 11
Good to know, and thanks for the heads up. Doesn't seem all that big a deal.

I gather from the photos that the position of that drive stud thingy within the slot adjusts the amount of step-over per stroke. So not being able to use the area in that blowout only limits very fast travel in the 'reverse' direction.

It reverses the timing of the stroke.
As is, it ratchets the feed on the forward stroke and not on the reverse stroke.
Still adjusted the feed rate and worked okay.

Good to know, and thanks for the heads up. Doesn't seem all that big a deal.

I gather from the photos that the position of that drive stud thingy within the slot adjusts the amount of step-over per stroke. So not being able to use the area in that blowout only limits very fast travel in the 'reverse' direction.
P.S.
About the only real job I did with it was to cut down the T nut on my Aloris. Was fun and did a nice job.

Attachments

• 20210716_074344.jpg
    20210716_074344.jpg
    895.7 KB · Views: 7
Back