Power Hacksaw

Another source for blades are a good section from a used or broken band saw blade.

Guys-
I really enjoyed this thread, and I surely do enjoy using old machinery. I am just a kid (61 years old) from the construction trades.
Can someone explain to me how an 18 inch long hacksaw blade will do a better job AND last longer than even a little (64 1/2 inch) bandsaw blade?
I have a 6x6 (I think) Delta horizontal from Taiwan, and use it alot. I also have a half-dozen manual hacksaws, many so old they are made in the USA. The difference is quite obvious to me....

Maybe those power hack saws are safer for setting and letting go for a long cut? We had one of those in junior high shop class and the teacher would use it to cut aluminum ingots down to size for us making castings. Big pile of ingots came on a pallet and needed to be cut. Saw sometimes sawed away at the side of the room while we worked. Something the teacher did if kids were messing around would be make him use a hand hacksaw to cut one of those 3X4 inch ingots all hour.

I'd argue probably not... Many finger traps, a whole reciprocating mech to get in the way of... The reciprocating action positively, absolutely wants to rip the stock right out of the chick jaws and it's like the world is about to end when it does succeed! Mine came from a school, but I suspect it was what was available at the time. Certainly safer than a vertical bandsaw, but far less safe than a horizontal for sure.

Maybe those power hack saws are safer for setting and letting go for a long cut? We had one of those in junior high shop class and the teacher would use it to cut aluminum ingots down to size for us making castings. Big pile of ingots came on a pallet and needed to be cut. Saw sometimes sawed away at the side of the room while we worked. Something the teacher did if kids were messing around would be make him use a hand hacksaw to cut one of those 3X4 inch ingots all hour.
We used to have a Racine 66W4 in our shop at work. That one had a transmission with 4 speeds. 35 strokes per minute, 70 strokes per minute, 100 strokes per minute, and 140 strokes per minute. It would often work an 8 hour shift non-stop cutting 6" rounds of Inconel for extrusion dies. It was a better choice for that job in that the blade speed was slower on the 35 and 70 strokes per minute settings than any of the bandsaws. Also the down pressure could be set lighter to maximize blade life.

The Racine W66 series machines have a stroke length of 5", and from 1 to 4 speeds depending on the model. That translates out to 14.6 ft. per minute, 29 ft. per minute, 41.6 ft. per minute, and 58.3 ft. per minute. My Startrite 175H bandsaw has 3 speeds of 60 ft. per minute, 100 ft. per minute, and 160 ft. per minute.

Essentially the fastest speed on the power hacksaw is about the same as the slowest speed on the bandsaw. Having said that I almost always use the bandsaw at 60 ft. per minute. I find it gives more accurate cuts, and the blades last considerably longer. So in my case one saw performs about equally with the other.

The power hacksaw is less expensive to run in that the current price for blades from industrial suppliers is a little under $20.00 each, while a new bandsaw blade is a little over $40.00. Until I run out of my current stock of hacksaw blades it will be even less expensive. I have over 50 blades in stock with an average cost of less than $3.00 per blade.

Last edited:
Guys-
I really enjoyed this thread, and I surely do enjoy using old machinery. I am just a kid (61 years old) from the construction trades.
Can someone explain to me how an 18 inch long hacksaw blade will do a better job AND last longer than even a little (64 1/2 inch) bandsaw blade?
I have a 6x6 (I think) Delta horizontal from Taiwan, and use it alot. I also have a half-dozen manual hacksaws, many so old they are made in the USA. The difference is quite obvious to me....

If comparing a similar size bandsaw to power hacksaw, the hacksaw will usually have a much heavier blade, both thicker and taller making it easier to get a good straight cut. The preferred blade on my little 12" hacksaw is 1-1/8" tall and 0.05" thick, the 64-1/2" blade used on my HF 4x6" bandsaw is 1/2" tall and 0.025" thick. Some of the bigger power hacksaws use 4-6TPI blades so they may look slow with their train like chugging, but they can take big bites.

Changing blades is also very quick and easy on most power hacksaws, making them more convenient for cutting different materials. Changing blades on my 6x10 Kalamazoo isn't too bad, but the HF is a hassle.

Last for a roughly equal capacity power hacksaws tend to be smaller, my 12" hacksaw is rated for 4x4" material, but is about 2/3 the size and weight of my HF 4x6 bandsaw.

Bandsaws win for complexity, or a lack of it, power hacksaws tend to be somewhat Rube Goldberg devices with lots of funky moving parts.

I think power hacksaws are neat, and far more capable than many give them credit for, but there is probably a reason that you see far more bandsaws these days.

Last edited:
Here's a decent looking one a bit past Eau Claire listed on Facebook Marketplace. Listing says it's in great working condition.

They're asking $350, but looks like it's been listed for 19 weeks.

View attachment 363339

There are a couple others listed on Marketplace as well, but they're the small benchtop style ones.
I had my wife contact the seller 2 days ago but no reply. Maybe it's not available any more.

If comparing a similar size bandsaw to power hacksaw, the hacksaw will usually have a much heavier blade, both thicker and taller making it easier to get a good straight cut. The preferred blade on my little 12" hacksaw is 1-1/8" tall and 0.05" thick, the 64-1/2" blade used on my HF 4x6" bandsaw is 1/2" tall and 0.025" thick. Some of the bigger power hacksaws use 4-6TPI blades so they may look slow with their train like chugging, but they can take big bites.

Changing blades is also very quick and easy on most power hacksaws, making them more convenient for cutting different materials. Changing blades on my 6x10 Kalamazoo isn't too bad, but the HF is a hassle.

Last for a roughly equal capacity power hacksaws tend to be smaller, my 12" hacksaw is rated for 4x4" material, but is about 2/3 the size and weight of my HF 4x6 bandsaw.

Bandsaws win for complexity, or a lack of it, power hacksaws tend to be somewhat Rube Goldberg devices with lots of funky moving parts.

I think power hacksaws are neat, and far more capable than many give them credit for, but there is probably a reason that you see far more bandsaws these days.

Thanks, Aaron!
I can see the pros-cons much clearer now. The ability to cut a bit straighter would make a difference on some jobs.
I may have to alter my search filters......:confused 3:
We used to have a Racine 66W4 in our shop at work. That one had a transmission with 4 speeds. 35 strokes per minute, 70 strokes per minute, 100 strokes per minute, and 140 strokes per minute. It would often work an 8 hour shift non-stop cutting 6" rounds of Inconel for extrusion dies. It was a better choice for that job in that the blade speed was slower on the 35 and 70 strokes per minute settings than any of the bandsaws. Also the down pressure could be set lighter to maximize blade life.

The Racine W66 series machines have a stroke length of 5", and from 1 to 4 speeds depending on the model. That translates out to 14.6 ft. per minute, 29 ft. per minute, 41.6 ft. per minute, and 58.3 ft. per minute. My Startrite 175H bandsaw has 3 speeds of 60 ft. per minute, 100 ft. per minute, and 160 ft. per minute.

Essentially the fastest speed on the power hacksaw is about the same as the slowest speed on the bandsaw. Having said that I almost always use the bandsaw at 60 ft. per minute. I find it gives more accurate cuts, and the blades last considerably longer. So in my case one saw performs about equally with the other.

The power hacksaw is less expensive to run in that the current price for blades from industrial suppliers is a little under $20.00 each, while a new bandsaw blade is a little over $40.00. Until I run out of my current stock of hacksaw blades it will be even less expensive. I have over 50 blades in stock with an average cost of less than $3.00 per blade.
Blade fpm is a consideration in a job shop, dealing with many different materials, thicknesses and shapes. Your experience is the kind of advice I was looking for! Thanks!

Hey @Ultradog MN, are you still on the prowl?

You've probably seen these already, but if not:

(And this one is yours, no?)

Hey @Ultradog MN, are you still on the prowl?

You've probably seen these already, but if not:

(And this one is yours, no?)
Thanks for thinking of me.
The Keller is mine. I bought it about 6 weeks ago at another auction.
It is well worn and the mechanism that raises the blade on the return stroke is missing parts.
I used it a bit. Made several cuts on some 1/2x3" HR. I would enjoy making some repairs but didn't want to make missing parts. So I brought it to Premier along with my shaper.
The Marvel is Very old and Very worn and I want one with a chip/drip pan to keep from soiling the floor. Could make something I know but...
And the Peerless I would love to have - if it was half the size it is. Just hate to devote that much real estate to a saw. It is a relatively modern machine. I also suspect it will go for a couple/few $K which is more than I can afford.

Back