Power Hacksaw

Ultradog MN

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
I'm needing a decent, metal cutting saw for my home shop and am thinking about an old power hacksaw.
Does anybody have one that they use regularly?
I would expect to have to overhaul it - bushings, gibs, etc but that would be okay with me.
What brand names should I search for?
Is there any brand that is better than all the rest?
Not sure of the size. I suppose something in the 15-18" blade range.
Does anyone here know of one near the Twin Cities (Minnesota) that might be for sale?
Thanks

PS, I suspect a band saw might be better and faster but those seem to fetch a pretty high price and I just like old school stuff.
I know a guy can buy something from Harbor Fright or Jet, Grizzly, or some such but I do not want one of those.

I have a 6X6 Peerless, and like it, also had a 7X7 Marvel, it was a fast cutting machine, one of the best power hacksaws.

I have an old Wellsaw power hacksaw, which I love. However, I just got a second-hand Warco horizontal/vertical bandsaw which knocks spots off it for speed, ease of use and not weighing as much as a small tank. The vertical use option is great too.
The power hacksaw is lovely, but SLOW and really fussy setting up for angle cuts. Given the choice, the bandsaw is the better option unless you have a particular thing for vintage iron.

I've got a 6x6 Peerless in Minneapolis (Linden Hills). Weighs damn near 1000 pounds. Worth every penny, and every drop of sweat it took getting it into my shop.

I don't see them come up all that often for sale. But they were made over in Racine, so you could probably find them pretty easily if you took a little road trip.

Bring over some steel to chop up if you want to give it a whirl.

EDIT: I used to have a cheap Harbor Freight 6x6, but I sold it when I got this. I don't miss it.

IMG_7836 (1).JPG

I restored an old craftsman power hacksaw a while ago. Used a garbage can as an electrolysis tank, repainted, etc. I made a cart with retractable casters for it so I could wheel it around. The blade likes to wander around a bit and it chatters horribly if it isn't set JUST right.

Then someone gave me a cheapo horrible freight portaband and became a convert. I made a little stand and table for it and haven't pulled out the power hacksaw since. I think I might make another base for the portaband with a hinge to turn it horizontal.

Ultradog, It's a good thing you asked about your hacksaw on this site, there is another site that strictly forbids the discussion of any kind of power hacksaw.
Benmychree, I didn't know you had a Marvel.
I had a Marvel 612 horiz. saw. That machine was amazing after I fixed it.
It took 3 guys to load it after we took it apart.
I'm needing a decent, metal cutting saw for my home shop and am thinking about an old power hacksaw.
Why not a horizontal bandsaw? They cut 100% of the time. Many members have the HF version. Properly adjusted they do pretty well.

Ultradog, It's a good thing you asked about your hacksaw on this site, there is another site that strictly forbids the discussion of any kind of power hacksaw.
Benmychree, I didn't know you had a Marvel.
I had a Marvel 612 horiz. saw. That machine was amazing after I fixed it.
It took 3 guys to load it after we took it apart.

Why not a horizontal bandsaw? They cut 100% of the time. Many members have the HF version. Properly adjusted they do pretty well.
Janderso,
Thanks.
I assume the other site is PM?
Yeah, they're kinda snooty over there aren't they but I didn't know power hacksaws were verboten.
No offense to you or anyone else here but I live less than a mile from HF and just don't go there.
Have a Monarch and Millmaster which were both built in 1942 and a 10" Dvorak shaper which was built in 1951. Guess I'd rather stick with the old stuff.

I've got a 6x6 Peerless in Minneapolis (Linden Hills). Weighs damn near 1000 pounds. Worth every penny, and every drop of sweat it took getting it into my shop.

I don't see them come up all that often for sale. But they were made over in Racine, so you could probably find them pretty easily if you took a little road trip.

Bring over some steel to chop up if you want to give it a whirl.

EDIT: I used to have a cheap Harbor Freight 6x6, but I sold it when I got this. I don't miss it.

View attachment 363256

Beautiful!!
I would love to find one like that.

While you are thinking of what to do be sure to use searchtempest.com to check all local Craigslist ads.

I just loaded hacksaw in and this one near Detroit came up

Janderso,
Thanks.
I assume the other site is PM?
Yeah, they're kinda snooty over there aren't they but I didn't know power hacksaws were verboten.
No offense to you or anyone else here but I live less than a mile from HF and just don't go there.
Have a Monarch and Millmaster which were both built in 1942 and a 10" Dvorak shaper which was built in 1951. Guess I'd rather stick with the old stuff.
OK I get it.
Regarding HF. I too live close to one. Some of their stuff is poor quality, some is adequate for the limited use IMHO.
I also think some of their products have improved. Example,
I bought a 1 ton arbor press last weekend. It is very much improved from the last one I bought from them.
Even the mounting holes line up. My other one was lost in the fire.

Back