Power Hacksaw

Here's a decent looking one a bit past Eau Claire listed on Facebook Marketplace. Listing says it's in great working condition.

They're asking $350, but looks like it's been listed for 19 weeks.

1619007993993.png

There are a couple others listed on Marketplace as well, but they're the small benchtop style ones.

I've been looking for a power hacksaw for a while now. I used to operate one on a regular basis while working in a machine/mold making shop in the 1970's. I was the "grunt" so they had me cutting stock for the machinist/ mold makers.

Only question I have about the power hacksaws is blade availability. Where do you all get your blades for these?

I just buy them from eBay. My last Eclipse blade literally lasted a decade.

I've been looking for a power hacksaw for a while now. I used to operate one on a regular basis while working in a machine/mold making shop in the 1970's. I was the "grunt" so they had me cutting stock for the machinist/ mold makers.

Only question I have about the power hacksaws is blade availability. Where do you all get your blades for these?
As Lo-Fi mentioned they are available on eBay. They are also available from McMaster MSC and other industrial suppliers. Be sure to check the eBay prices against the industrial suppliers before making a purchase. I have run into several eBay sellers asking more than the suppliers. Occasionally they do appear for bargain prices on eBay. I have purchased several lots over the years with prices in the $2.00 to $3.00 per unit range. There is also a member of the "professional board" that was selling them. I purchased 25 from him also in the $2.00 to $3.00 range per unit.

I think Lo-Fi's experience is the exception rather than the rule. I wouldn't expect most blades to last a decade with daily use. I can't say how long the blades will last on my saw since I change them out for different size and composition materials. I currently have 3 that I use regularly (4tpi, 8tpi, and 12tpi). They've all been in service about 5 years, and still have plenty of life left in them.

As an FYI, I generally get 2 to 3 years use out of my bandsaw blades when used on a daily basis. The bandsaw is used about double the number of hours the power hacksaw is used.

Thanks for the blade sources. I did not realize they would be so easy to get.

That's a decade of infrequent use and being truly past it's best by the end!! I tended to move the fixed jaw frequently when cutting odd stock or angles, so got full use of the blade length rather than wearing out a 4" spot.

Thanks.
I was on Searchtempest this morning and saw that one.
It is a great resource for finding stuff.
I'd like to find one that was made to use the heavier blades tho. Like a 15 or 18" model.
No hurry.
The Craftsman saws will work with standard 12" hacksaw blades but they were intended to use heavier 12" power hacksaw blades. I have one, it is a nice little saw but definitely a lightweight and in a totally different class compared to a Marvel or Peerless. I was able to load it by myself into the back of my Subaru, none of that sentence could be said for one of those larger saws. ;)

OK I get it.
Regarding HF. I too live close to one. Some of their stuff is poor quality, some is adequate for the limited use IMHO.
I also think some of their products have improved. Example,
I bought a 1 ton arbor press last weekend. It is very much improved from the last one I bought from them.
Even the mounting holes line up. My other one was lost in the fire.

I just got one of the HF arbor presses as well. I've been looking for a vintage press but the ones I see on CL are either too far away, asking far more than I want to spend or both. When HF put theirs on sale for $44, I gave in. Not as cool as a vintage press, but it looks decent and will do the job.

Thanks for the blade sources. I did not realize they would be so easy to get.

Yeah, easier than I expected.

I've found them on Ebay and Amazon as well as some of the larger tool sellers like McMaster Carr. I found some 12" Starret blades to fit my saw at Amazon for about $15.

Here's a decent looking one a bit past Eau Claire listed on Facebook Marketplace. Listing says it's in great working condition.

They're asking $350, but looks like it's been listed for 19 weeks.

View attachment 363339

There are a couple others listed on Marketplace as well, but they're the small benchtop style ones.
Thank you.
I asked my wife to contact the seller which she did this morning. It is close enough.
19 weeks tho. Might be something wrong with it or I'd think it would have sold by now. Or else I'm so deluded about their usefullness that no one wants them any more. Wouldn't be the first time that has happened
I'll let you know what happens.

I've been very slowly working on this one.
Currently have her torn down. I'd planned to make the repairs and move her down the road.
That finally happened last fall.
Any interest?
Come get her, or I could possibly-maybe deliver to the MN metro. She is currently located in Tamarack MN.
The pic is 10years old.
She has a "Property of War Dept" tag on her.

Daryl
MN
Thanks.
I have property in Aitkin.
Not sure how to contact someone here.
Can you pm me?

Back