POLL: Anybody Interested in Buying 1-2-3 Blocks?

Anybody Interested in Buying 123/246 Blocks?

• Total voters
How about resharpening end mills? Cleaning up the faces? I know I have several that need facing and not a full re-grind.
(is face is the proper terminology?)

Hmm....that's a really good idea. Considering I know 5 people who use a milling machine often.
Funny you mention it, I actually built a little device (Harold Hall esk) to sharpen the ends. I wouldn't use it on others tooling but is good for mine. I say that because who knows when it's going to fly apart LOL

I'll have to think about that, surface grinder or not I could build a device to sharpen the ends, or go full out making a flute sharpener. Decisions decisions.... :biggrin:

Seriously, thank you for mentioning it!

to echo others, I think the niche you're looking for is one that isn't served locally that's within your abilities/ tooling - so small one off jobs that bigger shops won't consider. It's not like you have to pay overheads/ bills (although I'm sure your folks wouldn't object!), so you really only need to cover your time+tooling. Trying to produce something that's mass market, especially mass Chinese/ Asian produced, is a losing proposition.

I would use someone that sharpens end mills and horizontal mill cutters. Must be a competitive business though?

I bet the home shop sharpening market is wide open. Take a poll and see how many folks around here buy cheap cutters as throw aways cause they cant sharpen them. I have even considered indexable mills simply because it's cheaper then throw aways and likely cheaper then sending them out to some big shop.

Plus most here likely either dont know about it, or where to get it done.

I bet the home shop sharpening market is wide open. Take a poll and see how many folks around here buy cheap cutters as throw aways cause they cant sharpen them. I have even considered indexable mills simply because it's cheaper then throw aways and likely cheaper then sending them out to some big shop.

Plus most here likely either dont know about it, or where to get it done.

A mail order esk endmill sharpening service.....sounds interesting. I know I could build an endmill grinder, the air bearing is tricky but doable. I'll think about that for awhile and maybe post a poll.

Thanks for the ideas, Chuck!

We are pretty far from 1-2-3 blocks, but if you want to do endmills, how about a $6-800 Darex?

John:

I have to say no at times because the work is over whelming. If I wanted to, grinding tools would be all I would ever be able to do. I grind for me mostly. As for the Grinder, once it's set it will go all day with no problem. I am glad I took this project on. It taxed me at times to the limit but the end result speaks for itself.

"Billy G"

For some reason I never saw that thread. You do nice work, Bill!

I plan to build a Brooks Stent cutter/surface grinder in the future, should be interesting.

Back