POLL: Anybody Interested in Buying 1-2-3 Blocks?

Anybody Interested in Buying 123/246 Blocks?

• Total voters
A

Andre

Forum Guest
Register Today
I might have the chance to purchase a quality 6x12 surface grinder for cheap. If so, I will owe somebody a little money that I will have to pay off.

I'm thinking of making and selling 123, 246 blocks to help pay off the grinder. Would anybody be interested in buying them? This is not definitive that I will buy the grinder or make the blocks, but if it happens I'd like to know if there is any interest.

Thanks everybody!

It's gonna take a whole lotta 123 blocks to pay for even a cut rate surface grinder. The reason for this is your price will have to be cheaper then whats on the shelf for most to buy them. You cant compete on material cost for sure and you cant compete on production time so you can only cut your own throat. Plus alot of guys make them their self or simply never use them.

You need a tool that makes a guy take pause before making. Like how lms has the 4 bolt compound for the 9x20's. Or some fixture angle plates with a bunch of taped holes. Even some basics like machine jacks with some kinda twist. V blocks are another item that brings good money for super basic work

Just an idea

It's gonna take a whole lotta 123 blocks to pay for even a cut rate surface grinder. The reason for this is your price will have to be cheaper then whats on the shelf for most to buy them. You cant compete on material cost for sure and you cant compete on production time so you can only cut your own throat. Plus alot of guys make them their self or simply never use them.

You need a tool that makes a guy take pause before making. Like how lms has the 4 bolt compound for the 9x20's. Or some fixture angle plates with a bunch of taped holes. Even some basics like machine jacks with some kinda twist. V blocks are another item that brings good money for super basic work

Just an idea

I agree, but I need to get a start. The grinder is still way in the air, seller has not even contacted me back yet.

Lets say this thing is cheap, under what most grinders go for. I'd only have to pay off $200 of it, the rest I can pay for OOP.

Not sure if there are any close by heat treatment places around or suppliers of heat treatable material, so that's in the air as well.

Like chuckorlando was saying. Maybe try and find a better niche. The 1 2 3 blocks are a dime a dozen. And they are a lot of machine time with all those threaded holes and heat treating and all. Maybe toss around making “non magnetic parallels”? They don’t need any heat treating and they fetch more money…Good Luck, Dave.

Last edited:
Like chuckorlando was saying. Maybe try and find a better niche. The 1 2 3 blocks are a time a dozen. And they are a lot of machine time with all those threaded holes and heat treating and all. Maybe toss around making “non magnetic parallels”? They don’t need any heat treating and they fetch more money…Good Luck, Dave.

How would a non magnetic parallel work? Be made from aluminum?

I was thinking of making 123 blocks without holes, since the holes are seldom used and are mean more machine time. I'll think about that, thank you!

Another consideration is folks faith in a hobbyist. I personally know your more then capable of hitting the numbers. But I know for sure others may not if they have not seen your work. I say that because when I see "shop made" I'll most likely pass if it needs to be precise. With that in mind I think angle blocks or something that needs to be flat but does not need to be a "specific" size might be an easier sale. Even though both need to be right, one just seems less precision is needed.

Oh and good luck in all regards.

Another consideration is folks faith in a hobbyist. I personally know your more then capable of hitting the numbers. But I know for sure others may not if they have not seen your work. I say that because when I see "shop made" I'll most likely pass if it needs to be precise. With that in mind I think angle blocks or something that needs to be flat but does not need to be a "specific" size might be an easier sale. Even though both need to be right, one just seems less precision is needed.

Oh and good luck in all regards.

Thank you,

I agree, but I have never needed to use angle blocks in my work, just rough angles for aesthetics.
The only people buying these (if I end up selling products) would be people on this forum for starters, so they would be able to see my other work.

Angle blocks will be in consideration, and if you have any other ideas I'd love the hear them.

Thanks, Chuck!

In no way I'm saying its a bad idia Chuck, but I think I would sit and think and think what people need and have to have. Beleive me I fall into the group of (my product has
to have a lot of gears complicated cams and stuff) which means I would be a success if I were in 1910 thereabouts.. All the overnite millionaires amounted to a simple
paper clip. So then, whatever; has to pass the test of time as the simple paper clip we use today. I think you would have a better shot at producing something like a
planner square, which amounts to >>>a percentage of use, pricing etc. Exampe;% of use=yardstick 0%-a caliper or mic 100% 1-2-3 blocks maybe under 15% a hammer 100%
a plain ole machine light bulb 100%- a planner square may be around 65%.-electricity 100%. Thats the way my brain works. I buy because a job can't be done without a need
and the need may be as simple as a two dollar twist drill. But then it depends on the shop; a case where 1-2-3 blocks are used 100% and a drill 2%. thinkin out loud again.
sam

Back